Go pick up a phosban reactor, the optional plastic screens, (don't use the black sponges), a rio 800 pump, 6 feet of clear 1/2 tubing (you'll probably need less, but just so you don't have to make two trips), a 1/2 inch valve for flow control to the reactor, plastic hose clamps, and last and most important "Two Little Fishes" NPX Bioplastics. In no time you will have an almost out of control supply of bacteria that consume nitrate and phosphate. They will easily out compete the hair algae and it will be gone in no time. I guarantee it will work, I've seen it with my own eyes. My brother fought hair algae forever, he tried every critter, constant water changes, everyone's ideas, but nothing worked. These bio plastics are insane, they are very potent. My only advice is follow the directions on the package, keep your water flow as slow a possible in the reactor, and use only 1/3 of the recommended amount of bio-plastics. They are just so potent. After a couple of days your water will be slightly cloudy (bacteria bloom) and you'll know they're starting to work. Then once the hair algae is gone, you will need to be sure to feed less. To the other question of the uv
, it won't get rid of hair algae. Don't do Vodka either. Same idea as bio plastics, but there's other stuff in it to. The bio plastics are a controlled way to add pure carbon. Amazing stuff, but don't use to much or you'll be pulling a bunch out like i did.........because of a bacteria bloom that wouldn't go away. After removing some and only using a third of the recommended amount, bloom is gone. Last be sure to keep skimming, all those bacteria will use up alot of oxygen.