Green Mandarin Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeYQM

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, after my Mystery Wrasse left the tank, I decided to add a cover & a Green Mandarin. I have a healthy pop population already, and have upgraded my refugium in sump to include live sand and more macro algae. I'll be adding a bottle of Dons Tiger Pods to help further grow out the population during training.

I'm trying to train the mandarin to eat prepared foods in a breeder trap. I started with a simple in tank breeder net, but after 2 days, it's just too dirty to keep going so I upgraded the setup. I bought a large Marina breeder box (Hang On) and modified it to run off my return line instead of an air pump. My hopes with this are two fold: it allows more water movement than the air pump, and it should allow some pods to escape the refugium into the breeder box for the mandarin to eat during training. I also added a small length of 1" flex tubing to help train him on the feeding station concept and give a little shelter.

Temp in the box is a steady 79 degrees, and has a pretty decent water exchange rate. The brine shrimp float around in the trap, but there's not TOO much current.

After 2 days he just started eating small frozen brine soaked in vitamins & garlic. Been picking about every 10s for 20mins. Off to a good start. Once he starts eating average sized brine shrimp, I'll introduce to the feeding station idea. Maybe if this works, I can get him a lady friend!

RE: Mike's 30 Gallon Build & Progression
Well, he's still eating small bits of brine shrimp & spitting out mid sized & ignoring large ones. I tried adding Reef Pearls & he shows interest by picking them often & spitting them out. Maybe not soft enough. Will try soaking in garlic guard to soften before adding more.

While I'm not claiming success just yet, I'm amazed at the rate this is progressing. It's very helpful to have him isolated so I can monitor habits rather than just dumping him in a tank & hoping he survives.

MikeYQM said:
RE: Mike's 30 Gallon Build & Progression
Well, he's still eating small bits of brine shrimp & spitting out mid sized & ignoring large ones. I tried adding Reef Pearls & he shows interest by picking them often & spitting them out. Maybe not soft enough. Will try soaking in garlic guard to soften before adding more.

While I'm not claiming success just yet, I'm amazed at the rate this is progressing. It's very helpful to have him isolated so I can monitor habits rather than just dumping him in a tank & hoping he survives.

Hey mike is there a pic available ? For the hang on box ?

I used a similar technique with both of my dragonets. :) I just used a biocube instead of a breeder box.

Have you tried bloodworms or mini bloodworms if they are available? Also the first thing they both ate was cyclopeeze so you might give that a go.

Here are links to a couple photos of the setup. It started eating Reef Pearls soaked in vitamins & Garlic Guard & now goes nuts whenever I add some in. It's never been fed frozen or prepared before Monday and is now actively eating these Pellets.

I plan to keep it isolated for a few weeks until it gets more accustomed to prepared then I'll supplement it's feeding with Reef Pearls in an auto feeder several times a day.

Considering adding a female along with since this is progressing so well.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...7046910137_607730136_23054983_231366733_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...7047825137_607730136_23054987_985789547_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...7048225137_607730136_23054991_512929072_n.jpg

There is a video which may surface of the feelings, I'll keep you posted.

Have you considered putting few pieces of rubble in there? I think would make him feel little more secure and give him spot to sleep at night.

There is a piece of flexible tubing he hides out in from time to time, but I'd prefer not to have much place for detritus to accumulate, especially with the frequent heavy feedings.

Good point. How about piece of PVC instead of clear tubing. Might be less stress on fish. Just trying to think like a fish. No place to hide would bug me.

Back
Top Bottom