Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green Mandarin Training Log/Guide

I picked up a male Green Mandarin on Saturday, was supposed to be a pair, but they received 2 males so I'm waiting for my female.

This past Feb I picked up a Green Mandarin & trained it within about 2 weeks onto prepared food. Unfortunately, I went away for a few days and a hardware issue led to its demise. So, with no predicted travel in the next month, I'm going to do it again.

My setup has 135 gallons net volume in mixed reef, refugium, rock reservoir & sump. I'd estimate about 225+ lbs of rock between the tank, reservoir & refugium. I have 2 clowns, a hippo tang, yellow tang, yellow watchman & 5 PJ Cardinals. I just ousted my sixline wrasse in preparation for the addition.

Since Saturday, the male mandarin has been hanging out in a 30 gal QT, which I've kept stocked with freshly hatched brine shrimp. This is pre training prep - fatten him up ASAP. The tank gets its light from my culture station behind its back corner, this has caused a swarm of brine attracted to the light and he's been parked there eating nonstop for 48 hours now. A true all you can eat buffet!

For what it's worth, hatching brine cysts is super easy, cheap and when I fed some to my DT, they went nuts for it. I've never seen cardinals so hyper. The shrimp are being fed to the tanks within 12 hours of hatching to maintain peak nutritional value. I have a batch on now, leftovers, that I'm trying to grow out & enrich as well.

The next step in the process will be to move the mandarin into a hang on breeder box to start the actual training. The purpose of this is to allow for more direct observation and a more controlled environment. I expect some live food to enter from the QT, and that will be a good supplement, but I want him to be a little hungry to increase the chances to accept prepared food.

The first prepared food will be enriched frozen brine shrimp soaked in vitamins & garlic. Several times a day I will add a small amount & observe. The breeder box uses an air pump to push small amounts of water into the box, this helps keep small items in suspension due to the churning nature and may make the frozen brine appear more alive.

The next step will be mixing frozen brine with a very small prepared "fry food". Then we will move to fry food mixed with Reef Pearls - a small pellet coral food. Then we will move to .5mm or 1mm sinking pellets. Once he is taking pellets regularly, hopefully within 2 weeks, off to the DT he goes.

While I am stocking the tank with pods I have culturing, in my opinion, training is the only way to go to increase odds of long term success. The high mortality rate of these fish is absurd and if you take into account that the are successfully bred in captivity, there's little reason for this.

From here on out I will be documenting my experiences in hopes that others can learn and we can increase the survivability if these creatures.

For what it's worth, my hardware investment for this training is as follows:
Air pump - $10
Airline - $5
Brine Cysts - $10
Breeder Box - $20
Pop bottles are used to house the brine & Phyto cultures, an old salt bucket for the pods and everything else was laying around.

It's not expensive, it's not difficult and its not time consuming, but it will give you peace if mind knowing your prized mandarin has a ready source of food.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a very informative thread. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I will be following along with your experience!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update # 1:

I left the male mandarin in QT for a few extra days to feed heavily on brine nauplii. Last night I moved him to the breeder box & let him settle for the night. Today will be the first 4 feeding attempts with frozen brine shrimp.

Last time I did this, I didn't fatten it up before hand, so I suspect the initial feedings may be delayed by a day or so since he should be pretty full.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope it all goes well for you would love to keep one if it is easy enough to get them on sinking pellets
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update #2:

3 tiny feedings of garlic soaked brine shrimp yesterday resulted in 1 confirmed "eat & spit out" and a fair amount of perching & staring closely at the brine shrimp. I haven't been watching all that closely as he doesn't like being eyeballed all that much.

Another 2-3 feedings today & hopefully he will take some.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update # 3:

I did 4 feedings yesterday, 3 brine & 1 Reef Pearls (coral food in tiny pellets). I have not directly observed anything yet but I suspect that he has eaten both the frozen brine & Reef Pearls. The problem is that he is quite shy. Whenever I enter the room, he's perched over the food but he immediately hides in his corner as soon as he sees me.

He's always over the food, as if he's grazing, and from a distance I can see what I think is picking motions, but I can't get close enough to confirm. I'm going to setup my GoPro today & try to capture some video next time I feed.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Great info. Look forward to seeing a video when you get him to cooperate.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Seahorse Lover 20
Greay info! I wish uou lots of success!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

I am planing on geting a manderian after i set up my 32 gallon seahorse tank and have it up and runing for a few months. I hope i can do what you are doing to train yours onto frozen foods.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Can you post pics of your setup and manderian?

Tags
guide, log, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com