Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Green Mandorin Goby

I Was wondering if anyone had information on this beautiful fish. Used to have one housed in a 300 gallon aquarium and he did fine but we moved and had to get rid of the tank. I plan on setting up a 20 gallon high and have been looking at this fish.

I don't want replies saying it can't be done but would much prefer to see if anyone has had experience with this fish in such a tank.

I have been doing some reading and people were saying they had trouble finding the right food for him to eat. I remember feeding mine dried shrimp that would settle at the bottom.

I was also wondering if he would be a problem to have around cleaner shrimp. I would like some turbo snails and cleaner shrimp for algae control but I don't want them to be eaten.

The plan for the tank right now is as follows:

2 Oscellaris Clowns
Turbo Snails
Cleaner Shrimp
1 Black Barred Convict Goby/Green Mandorin Goby
1 Sunset Anthias

Sunset Anthias was a random pick but if anyone knows a fish that would work well with the tank and that I happen to like I don't mind changing it out.

Jmifland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Anything CAN be done, it's just a question of SHOULD it be done.

There are quite a few threads floating around, search out mandarin or dragonet. I have one myself and it's been a constant struggle. The live rock needed, the fuge, the pods and the trying of every frozen food out there. I happen to have a ORA one which is why i think I am having some success. At least for now. Only time will tell. I for sure wouldnt recommend one if you dont have a ton of live rock and an established tank.

Check out the threads, very good reads and ideas from many members.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Is the Black Barred Convict Goby just as difficult? They look almost exactly the same aside from the coloration which has the BBCG an almost pure white. I fell in love with the way the flutter along the bottom of the tank almost like a UFO but the site I was looking at shows the GMG being difficult to keep but the BBCG being easy.

I really just want some fish that won't terrorize my cleaner shrimp too much.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one for a while now and loving it. It's my most fav fish, BUT even my LFS is saying that I got lucky that he is still alive. I bought him at my LFS and he is the only one that survived from the entire shipment that they have sold. He/She wasnt an ORA but is willing to eat brine shrimp so therefore I am having a small tank on the side to keep that one fish fed... it is possible, but you have to be willing to jump through hoops to get there.

My new build is gonna have a fancy Refugium build just for growing pods so I can make my little dragon happy

I doubt a 20g tall tank is the right choice though unless you are planning on more than enough LR... and the tank needs to be well established. Run the tank for a yr and than maybe consider a mand. goby

Also, a cleaner shrimp and a goby do well together, so no problems there
30g SW reef (moving)
120g SW reef (55g sump)
ignore my spelling! I'm a science major, not an English major
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
How many Cleaner Shrimp should be housed in a 20 Gallon Tall aquarium with these inhabitants? Is there a such thing as too many? How about Turbo Snails?

I think I am going to look for a really healthy looking Green Mandarin Goby and give it a try. If it starts to look bad I will take him back so that I don't kill him and then go with the Black Barred Convict Goby.

Still looking for one more fish that would be peaceful with these fish:

2 Oscillares Clownfish
1 Green Mandarin Goby/Black Barred Convict Goby
? Turbo Snails
? Cleaner Shrimp

Thanks to all for your replies!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com