Green plant on reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

75Gal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I see dark green plants all over reefs and on the sand. What is the cause of this and how can I get rid of them?

Thanks

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 84
Hair algae. What are you water parameters?
How much/often/what do you feed?
How long do you run your lights?
What is your source water?

How old is your tank. First the ammonia, then the nitrites then the nitrates then the diatoms and then the hair algae. It's all part of the cycle. Some people have more of one and less on the other. All depends on how you maintain your tank. PWC, feedings, etc. Cut down on the feedings, lights and add some CUC's It should go away in time.

my tank had a bad case of hair alage when i first started salt water were os the tank located ? is it near a window? natural sunlight made my hair alage grow like mad when i moved it from near the window it almost died away instantly. wat didnt die i got my live rock out of tank and scrubbed it in a bowl of my water with a old tooth brush taking it al off never to be seen in thier again.

I wonder if I did something wrong..I never got the big hair algae bloom, maybe its how I started the tank...I actually bought like 60 gallons of water from my LFS, along with the live rock.. it all came from the same place and Im using the same type of lighting the store uses too actually Its the exact same light as he has on alot of his tanks. .50 cents a gallon wasnt too bad to me. it only cost me like 30 bucks to fill the tank up with 20 gallons in reserve for changing...I guess I cheated huh..

Not really. We really dont know what his water is like. I would if it was me either get some already made SW from the LFS or get the FW from him and mix in your salt mix and test it before you add it to your tank. That will let you know if his water is OK.

I wonder if I did something wrong..I never got the big hair algae bloom, maybe its how I started the tank......

I don't really consider hair algae to be a "rite of passage" with SW tanks. Diatoms... yes. Hair algae... not really. In my opinion, it all depends on how nutrient "rich" your tank was to start with, if you had rock that had some on it to start with, and how you maintain your tank from day one.

I never had the hair algea stage... i got some rocks from my sister a couple months later... and the hair algea that was on her rocks was gone in a week... i think my lawnmower blenny keeps all that in check =D

Back
Top Bottom