Green slimer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bribo12

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone else have this acro? Did yours put down a ton of base first? When it started growing vertically did it branch or just continue to grow like a stag? Mine has just been putting down base for about 4 months now lol. I want it to grow up!!

My giant slimer is the fastest growing coral I've ever seen. It started as a baseball sized cluster of maybe 6 and now has at least 30 branches and is the size of a basketball. It's almost at the waterline so I'm going to have to start fragging which is ok cause last month each tip started shooting off in multiple directions. Once it gets going it really gets going. I have LED lighting and dose calcuim to keep it happy. If you check out my profile my album called 55 reef and I recently uploaded a full tank shot, you can see how big it is there.

Wow that's impressive! I dose calcium and alk and I think it's finally starting to grow up lol. I've heard after they base out they do grow extraordinary fast. How long did yours take to get that size

It can take some of them a while to establish a base footing, but after they do that they seem to channel their energy into vertical growth.

Thanks Greg, I know some acros put down more base than others. My red planet is still putting down a bunch of base as well, I've just always heard green slimer (acropora yongei) grows really fast

I've had mine just under a year. During that year I had quite a crash where my alk dropped unbelievably low and I lost a lot of coral. My slimer bleached out and stopped growing but is not 100% green again. I'd say in total I've had maybe 10 solid months of grow time and it's at least quadrupaled in size. Really hardy too, during my crash I lost a lot of coral but not this one...

Sweet thanks a bunch. Ill just have to wait and see once it starts taking off vertically

Just wanted to update that it's starting to grow up and it is forming a new branch!

Back
Top Bottom