Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Green slimmer turning white.

I bought a frag of a green slimmer about 2 weeks ago and it's starting to turn white from the top and getting closer to the base. Could this be from too much light? It fell over a couple of times so maybe it is just stressed? This is my first coral like this still learning so if someone could help me save it or is it too late? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391013128.034436.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	219533

Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd say it's to late. Was it ever green? Looks like all the flesh is gone. What are your parameters? What type of lighting? Did you light acclimate? Here's a healthy green slimer Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391015690.837680.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	219535

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #3

Oh wow it never looked like that at all. I have to get a new test kit for my water I have test strips that really are not that great. I have LEDs not sure what brand but they turn every color you can imagine and are super bright. New to all this so I'm trying to figure it out and learn as I go. I didn't light acclimate it I don't even know how to do that. I asked a ton of questions and my LFS but they never mentioned that. Should I take it out of the tank and call it a learning experience or should I give it some time still. Don't wanna leave it in if it's bad for the rest of the aquarium.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd take it out. Is there any living tissue left at all? Was that your first coral? Or first sps coral? Generally it is a hardier acropora but it's still an acropora and demands high quality water and lighting. Definitely look into at least a master test kit and calcium, alkalinity and magnesium test kits as well. Just curious what did the store tell you for it's care? Sorry that it isn't doing so well
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

The bottom looks like it has some tissue left but I don't think it was ever healthy it was never green like that it was brown or tanish and had a cpl green spots on it. This is my first sps coral(not even sure what sps stands for) I have a Kenya tree and a green star polyp which both have been doing for for a month or too now. Although the polyp still hasn't attached to my rock it's still just sitting on top of it. They store told me that I really didn't have to do anything for it that it would be hardy and grow fast. I hate that stupid plug it's on they told me it would grow around it and I wouldn't even see the plug eventually. For now on I think I will buy frags that are on rocks already.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yeah doesn't sound like it was very happy at the lfs. Sps stands for small polyp stony corals. I wouldn't try more sps until you get a little further into the hobby with lps corals like hammers, torches, acans, brains, etc... Once you can keep those going well then try some montipora. Leave acropora, more headache than any other coral lol.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #7

A white star polyp**
Old 01-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #8

Yeah I have been looking at some torches or frogspawns I love how they look. Saw a nice monti the other day too but decided to wait thankfully. I don't want to kill anything. I'm going to do a water change in a day or too an get a better test kit. Going to use RO water just found a place that sells it for 75 cents a gallon. Is that pricey?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLKush View Post
Yeah I have been looking at some torches or frogspawns I love how they look. Saw a nice monti the other day too but decided to wait thankfully. I don't want to kill anything. I'm going to do a water change in a day or too an get a better test kit. Going to use RO water just found a place that sells it for 75 cents a gallon. Is that pricey?
No sounds about right. My one lfs sells is for $1 per gallon so .75 isnt bad. Seems like you're on the right track .
Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would add don't trust your lfs, do your own research and use that to determine what you think you can handle

Tags
green, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com