Green Spotted Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had success with these guys in reefs? I don't have any corals yet so If he can coexist with some i'll limit myself to those. I have a little one, 2 inches and I really don't want to get rid of him. If nothing else he'll live in my refugium (30gal.)

i had one that was 3" or bigger and was living in full salt when i got him,he wasnt a badfish for me but i never had him with any corals so im not shure it it would be safe or not,i would try it since you can catch it no problem

Actually as they reach adulthood they should be introduced to full saltwater.

Yes that is true. They are born into freshwater and make their way into the ocean. I know a dude that had 2 in his Reef. They didnt nip at any coral but they did go after small inverts and clams. I had one on my fowlr but got rid of him when I turned it into a Reef. Very awesome fish.

from a similar post about a valentini puffer (on 1st forum page atm):

I have a similar puffer... he's curious about anything that moves, and will nip at things.
He'd prolly be ok short term, but you'd lose something(s) to him over time for sure.
For instance, I added my blue spot puffer (very similiar to the one in question) to a 90g tank populated by LR and a bunch of seagrasses, macros and a purple sea whip.

He's done fine with the shoal and turtle grass, but he mowed down a whole clump of manatee grass, one strand at a time - almost like he just liked chomping on it (prolly more to help his beak?).
I've seen him bite clumps off the sea whip as well.
He's had a couple of the smaller snails for dinner, but doesn't bother my massive mexican turbos. Couple hermits have ended up mysteriously gone too (hmmm).
The larger emerald crabs I have seem to be untouched as well.

I feed him a crawfish a week, and he basically tortures them to death by ripping off the legs..even when the crawfish is the same size or bigger..

Each animal has it's own personality.. just be prepared for a little destruction (which I don't mind too much, it is a semi-aggressive tank anyhow).

hth

Back
Top Bottom