Green star polyps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidmaguirre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I just bought some green star polyps and I put it in the lower part of the middle of my 29 gallon biocube they seam to be doing good but I've only had them for 3 days.. QUESTION IS, am I making a mistake? I heard alot of people saying they wish they never put them in there tank? I heard they grow like weeds and grow over alot of corals? I am planning on filling my biocube with corals but I need some advice with the gsp ? Should I keep them or should I get rid of them before they spread please help me?

If you like the way they look, keep them. I've had mine for about 3 days too and I would love my tank to be filled up with them. They don't sting other corals so you're safe in that part.

They can create a beautiful carpet and I have found most corals can drive them back. They are easy to remove as they encrust as they grow. Give them some small rocks to cover and use them for trade with friends or the LFS.

gsp

this is a beautiful swaying colorful coral which can quickly overtake a system especially a small one.make sure to keep the coral segregated to where you want it to grow as not to spread and become invasive.i have a 180 and started out with a piece the size of a quarter it is now covering a good couple square feet of the tank, this took about a year.to hinder its movement i am using frogspawn it cant move beyond it.most seem to love or hate it.

I see.. so in ur opinion would it be a good idea to put it in the middle of the tank or should I move it before it becomes more than a frag?

i started with a quarter size frag and it has now taken over an entire rock about the size of a softball in only a few months. I would put it on a rock separate from the rest of the tank so you can have a nicely sized specimen without it taking over.

It grows from a mat so it could but I'm not sure. Just get small rock and place it on that. Then its contained and it can grow.

I have seen them grow onto glass and sand. They can literally grow onto anything. Other corals especially, if you are not careful.

Keep it. It's super easy to grow looks amazing and easy extremely easy to frag and a lot of ppl like it seems like a win win to me and I've had great success with it in my 5gall nano reef

Keep it. It's super easy to grow looks amazing and easy extremely easy to frag and a lot of ppl like it seems like a win win to me and I've had great success with it in my 5gall nano reef
+1. all you have to do is rip it off a rock and you have a frag :)

Ok thanku:) I'm just a little nurvous that it will get out of control and I want to have many corals in there .. I bought it because I wanted to start with a hardy coral its not my fav. But I do like them a little..

it will be fine like i said if it get outta had just rip some off the rock and glue on a small rock or frag plug and sell it or trade for another frag

I see.. so in ur opinion would it be a good idea to put it in the middle of the tank or should I move it before it becomes more than a frag?
you have to keep it from the rock its on to touching the adjacent rock.beauty is in the eye of the beholder and while a nice coral just how much do you want of one colony.i have some in a 20 gal with a couple of clowns and it is growing on the back wall of the glass along with the rock it came on and spreading like crazy.if it got away on you and spread to the rock closest you could frag it.the short answer i guess is no matter where you put it it will spread.

Back
Top Bottom