Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jake337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 644
Green star polyps

I have a couple of questions on this soft coral. I bought this Frag about a month ago. I've heard people say this coral grows like a weed, but haven't seen any tremendous or slight growth yet. When they do grow, do single stars grow longer or growth as in there will just be more? Also, my Gsp aren't really as green as I wish they were. They're mostly brown with touches of green. Is that normal? They do look very green under the moonlight LEDs though. Here is a picture of them. The iPod quality is verrrryy bad.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2111917652.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	113349
__________________

__________________
Jake337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
The pink slime stuff starts to spread, lol i dont know how to describe it... And i think they are brown because your light is not very good...
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
The pink slime stuff starts to spread, lol i dont know how to describe it... And i think they are brown because your light is not very good...
Yes the base will grow allowing more " stars" but i agree on lighting theyll color up if you put stronger lighting or move closer to light maybe
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Phranque's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,443
Average GSP growth is approximately 10-15% every two to three months, depending on conditions... meaning if you have just a little piece, 10% isn't much. Once you have a significant amount, 10% growth becomes a LOT. It's pretty coral, but you need to be careful where you put this stuff... it will over-run your tank if given the chance, including some other corals. There are many a reefer who regret ever putting it in their tank.
IMO, the best thing to do is put it on it's own rock isolated on the sand bed.... that way it's easily removable for trimming without getting it everywhere. You can see where I put mine on the bottom-right. I've had that chunk less than a month, and it's already spreading to the rock I placed it on.... What I'll probably do is use that chunk to seed my rock, and then take it to another lfs or a local frag swap to trade for something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo9.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	113407   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo11.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	113408  

__________________
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,534
I bought a 1 inch frag a month ago its all over my rock already
I feed coral frenzy 2x a week 8+ hrs light and wow
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed
I bought a 1 inch frag a month ago its all over my rock already
I feed coral frenzy 2x a week 8+ hrs light and wow
Yes careful on placement they are aggressive
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post
Yes careful on placement they are aggressive
its in the far lower corner of my tank on a big rock far away from everything else
cant wait till it covers the whole rock
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jake337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
Average GSP growth is approximately 10-15% every two to three months, depending on conditions... meaning if you have just a little piece, 10% isn't much. Once you have a significant amount, 10% growth becomes a LOT. It's pretty coral, but you need to be careful where you put this stuff... it will over-run your tank if given the chance, including some other corals. There are many a reefer who regret ever putting it in their tank.
IMO, the best thing to do is put it on it's own rock isolated on the sand bed.... that way it's easily removable for trimming without getting it everywhere. You can see where I put mine on the bottom-right. I've had that chunk less than a month, and it's already spreading to the rock I placed it on.... What I'll probably do is use that chunk to seed my rock, and then take it to another lfs or a local frag swap to trade for something else.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah your Gsp are REALLY green. Mine are completely brown. Might just be my light?
__________________
Jake337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Ya gsp will really color up nicely given enough light. The green contrasts the purple wonderfully. I bought a 3" frag that I placed on my sandbed next to my rock and here it is six months later (sold three frags of it already so no more left on the sand bed anymore)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120819_080146.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	113443   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120819_080338.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	113444  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120819_080410.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	113445  
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
polyp, polyps, star, star polyp, star polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.