Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so the 40 watts wouldnt work then would it tho? and how bouts if i added the shop light with two tubes?

by the way, heres a link to some crappy pix of my tank..(flash wont work)

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=P1010193.jpg

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=P1010194.jpg

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=P1010198.jpg

Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think the Fluvia 304 is 550GPH, I think...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol nooo its not 550. its pretty weak, its only like 260. i'll check the label later, cuz i gotta leave for school. what about the lighting tho? and arent gsp photosynthetic or whatever the word is, so they only need light dont they? or do they also need some food?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

NO lights will not work for GSP they require good lighting. I put some in my fowlr which has 80 watts NO and they died. I had them low and they did not open I moved them up high on the lr and they opened a little and just died over time.
In my reef they will not spread to the areas where the lighting is low. And IMO they can take over a tank if left to spread. They can sting other corals and will grow where the lighting is to their liking. Mine is on the SB mostly and has spread across the SB and it is now growing no the LR and it has stung my Alviopora to the point where the polyps would not come out.
You will need PC or VHO lighting as a min..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Sorry, I stand corrected...it is 260GPH, I'm not sure where I got that number...I was feeling a LOT rough yesterday!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol its all good about the gph on the filter.

as for lighting again..anyone have a good light that they have gsp in, or would grow it in? i'm pretty limited to what i can spend now, so i know metal halides are out. So basically i'm lookin for the cheapest light that gsp do good in haha. I dont really plan on having other corals in the near future, so getting strong, expensive lighting for corals that i might get a long time from now doesnt seem practical right now.

thanks all
Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If lighting is a issue why not start out with a mushroom etc. Since your tank is just now cycling you need to forget about corals for a while. Get the tank cycled and get some experience keeping the water quality up, PH, Alk, Temp stable, and a first fish alive. You start putting corals in shortly after the cycle, light or not you are asking for disaster. End of rant:.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, i'm just planning for future when it gets done cycling. And do mushrooms not require lighting or just very little?

Also, i've just had a thought.

I have an old 2 gallon tank, and some left over aragonite that i'd use as substrate. i've also got a few filters that are supposed to be for 20 gallon tanks. I would only use these for flow, and have like, 3 lbs of lr in the tank.

I know that the more water volume there is in a tank, the better, but I found this light bulb and i've got an old fixture that it would fit in.
Here is the light

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=2030120&Ne=34

would this work for anything?

the lr would be the filtration corect? with the hob filter just being used for circulation.
I wouldnt even have fish in here, i'd just have some easy corals or something.
and that light would give plenty of light for stuff, cuz it'd be like 5 watts to the gallon w/the 10 watt bulb, and 10 per gallon w/the 20 watt.

last (i hope) would having live rock take away the cycle? i've heard that you should just wait a few days to make sure.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mate, those lights would work for a nano tank (5 gallons or less) or a small hob fuge. They wouldn't light up anything in a 55. You are probably not going to be able to find lights for a 55 gallon tank for under 50 bones.

I also wouldn't try running PC or VHO lights in a ballast that was not meant to run anything other than NO lights. You could start a fire.

You should spend some time googling and checking out the forums for lighting recommendations. You could probably get some Jeabo/Odyssea PC lights for under $100.

Mushrooms typically require very little light. I have had shrooms under NO lights for a time and they did well.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ya thats what i put...didnt i say that it would be for a 2 gallon? i thought i did, but i might be wrong...

anyways...
i was just gonna try some corals in a 2 gallon first, and then, if all goes well, upgrade the lights in the 55 to match the ratio that is on the 2 gallon. like if i got the ten watt mini for the 2 gallon that would be about 5 watts per gallon right? if that worked for that one, then i'd get a pc that would be 5 watts per gallon on the 55, so about a 275 watter.

Tags
polyp, polyps, star, star polyp, star polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com