Green star polyps as back ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone I was at the fragswap at that pet place over the weekend and I seen one of there reef tank with green star polyps as there back ground and it look so cool my question is how do they fasten it or get it stick because I would like to try it any thoughts.

Usually people will lean the plug it's on to the glass. I know for a fact that you can glue a plug on the glass. I did it with a frag of zoas. It does look pretty cool.

Cool I have a piece about 2"x 3" I think I'm gonna try it

Yeah, I like the look of them on the glass. I am going to do that with my 40b once I get it set up

I know the tank your talking about and I'm not 100% positive but I believe the back of that tank is covered in green encrusting gorgonian with the flesh around the polyps being more of a beige rather than the dark purple that you see with your typical GSP

image-1184327876.jpg

Here's mine, I like the way it looks also. So I got a tiny piece and glued it to the rock and leaned it to touch the glass. Was nervous it was just going to take over the rock,but as you can see it's going the other way as planed. Lol thank god

How long did it take you to get it to the point it is at now that looks awesome I just leaned my against the back here is mine if anyone else has done it I would like to see pictures if you don't mind thank you

Attachments

• image-3758456208.jpg
    image-3758456208.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 165
At maximum growth a 1" square of GSP can be 6"x6" within 6 months or less.

Attachments

• image-2663856003.jpg
    image-2663856003.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 150
Mine took I wanna say like 6 mo. It stopped touching the glass a little. And it was growing on the rock pretty fast. Once it realized the glass was there it grew fast.So all the polyps on the glass took like 2 1/2 - 3 Mo.

Wow that's cool I got it leaning on the glass so I hope all goes well I keep you post on how it goes thank you

you know GSP's get a bad rep but I like them. I have this huge green rock full of them and they're always swaying and super bright. I've toyed with the glass idea cause I'm always scraping them off the front glass anyway....

I'm new to the reef world Iam like you thou they are super bright I never heard anything negative about them do they spread pretty easily or something

And also keep in mind there are other colors of star polyps as well. I had some red ones for awhile.

For whoever above stated that it is an encrusting gorgonian, you're right. Star polyps are an encrusting gorgonian.

About a year ago someone was trying to replicate this idea. They struggled to get it to start growing on the glass, but started having some luck with a piece of the mat they had cut off a colony and used a toothpick to hold it up against the glass.

I had no idea there where different colors of this stuff looks like I will be doing some research tonight and for the guy having a mat of it that's what I have it's like 2"x3" but it's on a flat plug but it's hanging over the plug about a 1/2" so that's what I got leaning against the glass I hope it takes

Heck yeah their awesome and like said above many types. I've heard of tanks that have them on the whole front sand bed. Like your own underwater lawn pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom