Green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I might try some old fashioned filter floss before investing in a troublesome UV sterilizer.

Last edited:
At night the green seems to subside. When the lights come back on it will bloom again. I had this problem on a customer's tank and it ended up looking like antifreeze. You couldn't see 3" in. I tried water changes to no avail. I was going to cover the tank and the customer refused to have his display covered with trash bags for 5 days....lol..so i googled "green water outbreak" and decided to use the sterilizer. 3 days later the water was clear and then I shut it off for good.

At night the green seems to subside. When the lights come back on it will bloom again. I had this problem on a customer's tank and it ended up looking like antifreeze. You couldn't see 3" in. I tried water changes to no avail. I was going to cover the tank and the customer refused to have his display covered with trash bags for 5 days....lol..so i googled "green water outbreak" and decided to use the sterilizer. 3 days later the water was clear and then I shut it off for good.

Why can't you just filter the algae from the water? Algae cells are pretty big, a fine mesh or floss will catch them then export them to the trash.

I have a green water setup, I will test tonight what will physically remove the algae. UV sterilizers nuke everything alive in the water, even the good stuff.

I had same issue with my wife's freshwater tank after we moved a year ago. Most of the plants and fish were wiped out. Nothing worked long term. Even tried 100% water change with rodi water(use tap for fw tank). Everything was just a temporary bandaid that lasted a day or two max.
Uv cleared the tank in a day. Remaining plants are finally starting to recover and the surviving angel is now laying eggs every 5 days.

Sometimes using UV to sterilize the water is the fastest and maybe the best way to correct the issue. But in a reef tank I think it's a trade off.

Back
Top Bottom