Green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today I noticed my water was green. I thought it was just the glass so I cleaned it. The glass did have some algae but the water was still green and a few hours the glass was covered again. I plan on doing a couple good water changes and cut my lights back a couple hours a day. Is this the correct solution to the problem

Sounds like an algae bloom. If so nitrates may read 0 because the algae is consuming it? Have you tested phosphates?

Wish I could at this time. I don't have a test kit for it. It just started today and my water change is tomorrow. I'll have my phosphates checked tomorrow when I get water

A UV sterilizer could cure a green water outbreak in a few days. I don't think water changes do much for it...as a matter of fact I believe water changes can feed it. Cutting the lights back isn't the answer either. You need to black out the tank to remove it if your method is light deprivation....but you have fish and corals, correct?

http://bit.ly/16J3OMg

Would that work on my 55 gallon

It would work, but I owned two of those models and one stopped working after two weeks. I sent it back then the bulb burnt on the second after three months. The glass sleeve was so fragile it cracked as I removed it from the filter. I would look at spending a little more and getting a better unit than the sun sun. If you choose to try it out, check the return policy and willingness to replace the unit if it fails.

http://bit.ly/16J3OMg

Would that work on my 55 gallon

That would work for sure. I have the newer model of that exact same one running on my wife's FW tank. Been running at least 3 months no issues at all.

Newer version allows you to adjust the flow. We got it on eBay for about the same price and it included an extra bulb.

Back
Top Bottom