Green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Apparently my wife keeps seeing a green tinge in my water but my levels are beautiful. Any thoughts?

Algae blooms...does sunlight hit the tank through the window or anything? Could just run carbon on it and it'd clear up. Can do it secretly and tell your wife she is seeing things...as she could be!

In a saltwater tank? No it doesn't but I think the sand might have come from a freshwater the guy I got it from lied lol

Tell your wife you need to buy a $600 filter and I bet it clears up in an hour

Regular glass (not low lead like starfire) can get green if thick enough. I always thought a regular glass tank over 1/2" thick had a slight green cast. If that's the issue, you can counter this by adding a led strip that will cancel the green, like a slight amount of magenta colored light. Not enough to effect corals but enough to offset the green if it is the glass. Pushing more blue light might also reduce the effect.

Last edited:
Sounds like just an algae bloom,uv sterilizer will clear it up,and helps to keep your water crystal clear.
Not everyone believes in using them,but you know about opinions.

Back
Top Bottom