Green water and uv sterlizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just ordered it yesterday so once I get it in I will give an update and let you know how it's working

Just a question.. But will a liquid algae fix saluting work the same? I've used it a few times. Mostly in freshwater.. Had a full green tank put an algae cure in it and it was gone in 5 minutes.. And just used some in my saltwater and the slime algae was gone in 2 days... Much cheaper than a sterilizer.. But does it have any effects or downfalls? Which is the better deal? 10$ bottle or 250$ sterilizer?

Not advisable in salt water aqurium cause you will be getting rid of all algae including the beneficial algae.

Try not to use any chemicals you don't have to. A UV sterilizer will only kill what goes through it. It will not kill all the algae in the tank, only the algae in the water column.

Wow, that's quite a bloom! A UV sterilizer will clear it up as already stated. But the real question is what caused it? I'm not a fan of the sterilizer a personally but I know many swear by them. Since you've already ordered it and the bloom is pretty severe, I'd say to ahead and use it, but you should try to isolate the cause.
What are your water parameters, and what is your lighting schedule! How old are the bulbs (if applicable)? I think the goal here should be to not need the UV unit again once this is cleared up.

It's pretty common in new setups, and once it starts, it's hard to eradicate unless you are able to black out the tank for an extended period, or use a sterilizer. Water changes just feed it.
It generally doesn't come back. At least that's been my experience.

Also, You are not going to lose all of your coralline if you use a UV sterilizer. It's not a miracle cure for all algae. It will just kill what's in the water that is flowing through it. Nothing more.

Last edited:
I ordered a test kit I just used to use the strips but those suck but that is my goal to figure out the main cause my lights come on at 10:30 and go off at 6 and there all new lights so can't be the. Problem

I used to have a bad cyano that I got rid of my water changes and adding a bag of phosphate but then two weeks later this green alge bloom came so maybe it's high phosphates

That's what I used the algae fix for. Cyano was overly rediculous!! 3 days later it was all gone with a water change

Hopefully this uv works kinda iffy about eBay stuff but I don't see why it wouldn't work

I don't know how good it will work on algae bloom because there's so much of it.

But you could try it before investing.

Here's your options,

1 cut all light for about a week

2 algae chemicals

3 sterilizer.

Sterilizer will really help your fish from potential infection and disease later on.

I have corals and anemone cant go a week without light I'm gonna give the uv a chance by itself I don't see why it wouldn't work and ill keep everyone updated

Get an algae eating fish, shrimp or gobies and let them eat it while you do water changes to remove the waste.

I have to cleaner shrimp and a Benny it's just the free floating alge my uv sterilizer came in this morning and I plugged it in today and will take a picture when I get home on the process of the tank!

Back
Top Bottom