Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Per the link:

The Brittle or Serpent Stars are grouped as the Class Ophiuroidea, characterized by having highly mobile arms that can be used to assist in (relatively) rapid motion.
The green brittle star falls into this description. Both serpents and brittle stars are from the same class (Ophiuroidea) and are distinctly different than the Asteroidea stars. IMO they are labeled correctly.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:54 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Many people use the terms Brittle and Serpent synonymously. The only name you could enforce would be, Ophiarachna incrassata. Typicaly, stars with bristled or hairy legs are refered to as brittle, and those with smooth legs are refered to as serpent... but again, common names often depend on "who your talking to"

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I have one of these little guys for around 6 months or so and don't recall missing anything that he could have eaten. I've never seen him arch up or form a tent but I'm worried now that he may eat one of my fish or shrimp. Should I get rid of him?
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I am keeping my brittle around just for the suspense.. he has a hard enough time fighting off the crabs.. they tend to clip off the end of his legs. They grow back quickly though.

We shall see...

Currently the brittle and the CBS are "sharing" a cave...... the brittle is on the bottom and the CBS clings to the top of the cave...

The plot thickens!

Oh you know what's funny, take a great big piece of shrimp, bigger than the center of your starfish, and give it to your brittle. It will cram it into it's mouth and then run around with an inflated-looking center. Weird.

snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com