Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gren brittle star??

I did some general reading on brittles and thought they ALL were reef safe. While at the LFS the other day I decided to buy a green brittle star. After 2.5 hours of acclimating, I released it into the tank and started to do some internet reading only to find out "greens" like to eat fish and decorative shrimp! The guy at the LFS didn't bother to give me any sort of heads up- thanks %$#@#&!! Has anyone had personal experiences with these? I've seen pics in the photo gallery, in one a green was sitting next to a shrimp! I target fed it today some raw shrimp which it attacked the tongs for! Any suggestions/advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. After seeing it eat that shrimp I'm alittle apprehensive about grabbing it to return it to the LFS 8O I do like it though, kind of looks like a monster from the abyss!

Old 01-09-2004, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I have a green one that has never eaten anythying other thank food or leftovers in the 6+ months I've had him, however that's not to say yours never will.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to riptide
I keep one in my fuge and have never had an issue even with weaker fish and corals.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:17 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
ditto....mine was the size of a dinnerplate and never bothered anything.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is great to hear!! WHOOO, I was really worried!! I'll keep an eye on it though for safe measure. Thanks all, your all so quick. Not to sound corny, but I'm going to...This is the best forum on the web PERIOD- IMO of course
Old 01-09-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

This is the green star that is a predator, there are a couple different green brittle/serpent stars.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you search here you will find a number of people with missing livestock as well. I would simply take it back and get one that is safe, then there is no cause for concern.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
This is the green star that is a predator, there are a couple different green brittle/serpent stars.

That's the one I have right there. I sometimes see it arch up and make a "tent" shape in the hopes that something will crawl or swim under him.

I read a forum in tropicalresources.net where a guy said he came home and his green star had his very large CBS pinned against the glass, struggling wildly, as the star ate it alive from the back end.

Here's my question, it was sold to me as a serpent star, I think this is incorrect, but when I do searches for green serpent OR green brittle, I get the same pic!

LFS sold this one to me as a green serpent and they said "it's not a brittle, if it were a brittle, the legs would break right off when you handled it"

(edited) I think the above bold text is INCORRECT

Here's my take on the whole deal, am I right or wrong:

1. The pics that I find on the internet that show the above pictured star titled as a "serpent star are wholly incorrect.
2. Any starfish that looks just like this that has the bristly appendages is a brittle star.
3. Brittle star's legs do NOT break off unless they get a decent bend or tug, something you could not do just by handling it.

I hope someone can debunk this whole deal for me.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rather than paraphrase:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

I have handled by brittle stars, no problem....I think the flag is appropriate.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

edited

AAACK I can't read or type today.

Someone smack me please.

So would you guys agree that the bristly green starfish we see above is absolutely totally completely 100% not nor ever has been a serpent?

Just to clarify, the next time I walk into LFS up to their tank full of 20 of these little bastognes, and they have the sticker that says serpent stars.... I would like to kindly correct them without fear of being wrong.

Thanks for the link hoops.

Tags
star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com