grocery store lobsters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsfuller2572

Aquarium Advice Activist
My four year old is asking if he can pick out a lobster from the grocery store for our tank.......this is not a good idea, right?
He's serious, stop laughing.

No sorry. Not a good idea. Most of these are Atlantic lobsters and require a cold tank. Not to mention, it would eat just about anything in the tank.

Not for your sized tank. They require 100+ gal tank as a minimum due to the large size they get and excellent filtration along with a chiller for proper care. That and as lando said they are not “reef safe” and would eat just about anything they could get a hold of.

If you really want a lobster I’d get a Reef Lobster which is fairly small, a great scavenger and fairly easy to take care of.

If you do get one make sure you drip acclimate them for 3+ hours since they can be really sensitive to sg/ph changes.

demodiki said:
Even that reef lobster may turn psychopath eventually.
I’ve had them in the past and they are no more a threat then large shrimp are. They generally tend to leave everyone alone and just scavenge the bottom, usually will take food from your hand and really do not even pinch that hard. I’ll be getting another one as soon as my lfs gets some more in stock.

Agree with all of the above.

Have you ever checked the thermometer hanging inside one of those lobster tanks at the grocery store? High 40's water temperature... It has a refrigeration system built in specifically for those guys...

I do have a reef lobster. It is purple and orange and they are great for the tank as scavangers. Never had a problem. And hardley ever see him as he will not come out in the open.

Now im getting hungry!

I used to live in NY and went diving for lobsters in the Long Island Sound. They truly like the colder waters (wore a dry suit sometimes) and will eat everything.

A little side note. I once had a crawfish in a fw tank. The species I had were supposed to be "safe for fish". Well lets just say there were a few fish that mysteriously disappeared. So one night I turned the lights off, dressed in black, got a flashlight, compass and a map, it was a scene from Rambo minus the machine gun, I could not find one in time. I was off on a mission. To no suprise the crawfish was sitting on the bottom with his claws in the air waiting for the first victim to come too close. Then all of a sudden, snap and he got one. He did not last long in that tank for much longer.

Mrsfuller2572 said:
My four year old is asking if he can pick out a lobster from the grocery store for our tank.......this is not a good idea, right?
He's serious, stop laughing.

If your "tank" is a boiling pot of water on the stove, I'd say go for it.

OK, gotta go back to the freshie side :wink:.

LOL
That's what I thought. I have to agree with the boiling pot of H2O on the stove. We MIGHT look into one of the little reef guys eventually to give my 4 yr. old the satisfaction of his quest for such a 'pet'.
Thanks guys! It's been entertaining!

Back
Top Bottom