Ground Fault Interrupter vs. a Grounding Probe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also a good idea just for the load, I just added up all my stuff and if everything turns on in my 3 tanks at the same time the combined load is around 900 watts.

And this is with only the very not decent :) 2*48inch tubes over the 120 gal.

That is a good point! I am finishing my basement where the tank will end up. I am wiring a dedicated circuit for the hot tub, better do the tank too.

Just to get you all thinking a little more about the need for a probe.
Say you don't have a grounding probe but do have a GFCI outlet.
The outlet, as said will detect an diferance between the current on the conductors and will trip if there is a differance. Current is allways seaking ground. If a power head is leaking current there is no place for that current to go if there is no ground source in the water. The GFCI will not trip untill the grounding path is established. Most power heads are non grounding and only have a two prong plug. Three prong cord pumps, lighting fixtures and so on have a case ground and therefore have a grounding path for leaking current to flow. If there is no grounding probe in the water the GFCI may still not protect you because the current must flow through your body to cause the leak and trip the GFCI But if you have a grounding probe in the water the GFCI should trip as soon as the faulty appliance is pluged in because the probe provides the path back to ground.

Koijoy

Back
Top Bottom