Group of clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could I keep a group of 4-5 ocellaris clowns together? I've done some research and it seems like it would work, especially if I had an anemone. The biggest one would become female, second biggest male, and the rest would be immature males. They would all live in the anemone together.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks!

45 gallons. I heard that a nem would help and I kinda want one .

I would get them all very young and at the same time, anyone know if it'd work and two would form the dominant pair with the others being immature males?

I would get them all very young and at the same time, anyone know if it'd work and two would form the dominant pair with the others being immature males?
it may work,id suggest getting a big one(the female),a medium one(the male of the pair),and however many small ones you wanted(the immature males)

I would just get 5 that are about the same size. You have to keep in mind though that you may lose some because of aggression.

Once they mature you will end up with 1 female, 1 male and the rest killed by the female.

But I read that if u got them all at the same time she wouldn't? And if she died the male would become female and one of the others would become male!

I HAD 4 clowns in a 125g and they still didnt get along. they are damsle fish and somewhat aggressive. It's rare that people can keep multiples in the same tank. Also, anenomes are totally not needed for clowns, it's just a maybe they will host it, no guarantees. Also, to keep a nem you need a mature tank, pristine water and super lighting. :)

This seems to be what they do in nature....?
Yes but remember natures fish tank is a lot bigger than ours.
I have 2 perc's which are mating and I added the picasso percs whilst the other pair were laying eggs,although the female made sure the picasso's didn't go near the clutch that was about it,although its early days still,I've had them all together now for about 2 months without hassle but I intend to breed the picasso's in therir own tank.

Remeber not all clowns act the same,you could have more than one pair in a tank as long as its a large tank,but this still isn't a guarantee.

So I can only have two Carey? And no anemone?

What kind of lighting do you have and how long has your tank been running? How's your water parameters? Those are the most important things when considering a nem. I think I've mentioned it but I had a nem once, I ended up returning him to the store after a few months. My clowns didn't host it and I was scared it was going to eat a fish. lol In my personal opinion, they are more trouble than they are worth. But thats just me. :) ALOT of people have them but they as long as you meet their requirements you should be ok.

I had my four clowns in together for about 2 months and then all heck broke loose. They were fine up til then, they even slept together, but when it went south it went quick and was horrible. I had to remove the orange oscellaris immediately to save my other pair.

Oh, well my parameters are good and I'm planning on upgrading my lights in the very near future....my tank has been up fir almost a year.

If you get a group of about 5 clowns, they will create the natural hierarchy of a female, a male, and the rest are dormant. I've seen this done plenty if times. Just make sure your tank is big enough to support all of these fish.

slitherbomb said:
If you get a group of about 5 clowns, they will create the natural hierarchy of a female, a male, and the rest are dormant. I've seen this done plenty if times. Just make sure your tank is big enough to support all of these fish.

How big do you suggest? This is what I've been talking about the whole time!

Back
Top Bottom