growing corals on a budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to give growing corals a shot. Not a display tank...just a tank strictly for coral growth. Maybe the only thing I will put in it besides coral will be egg crate. My funds are limited, so expensive metal halides are out of the question (even though I know they would be best.) I would like a shallow tank. any suggestions as to what size? I am thinking of about a 20 long or 15 gallon with hang on filter only for water flow with power compacts. How do you feed the corals?Any links or other helpful tips about anything would be great.
Thanks!!!

Cool! Interesting post!

I think that 30gallons and more is a good choice of tank. Light is depending of what you are farming (see below, I only have PC and its way enough). I have a little seaclone skimer and alot of LR. Dont forget that you have to have I pretty good water quality for your corals. So it would be preferable to have some LR or a good biologic filter.

I am also starting to convert my 30Gallon tank in a farming tank, but only for filter feeder corals! So I dont need alot of lights!! :) Only alot of current... :(
I have Chili Coral (strawberry coral) : that I plan to divide in a near futur
I want to buy red rods coral and sea fan too! It would be great.

There is a couple of info here: http://www.garf.org

I only add calcium to about 440... and I feed coral 3 times a week

What else should we do to encourage the coral too grow??

Back
Top Bottom