Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
my statements come from people coming into my work a lfs and telling me and hmm if the shrimp is the only thing in the tank and it shows copper pretty much saying its the shrimp.. and so catfish is cleared for human consumption and you realize they eat everything i mean everything..
and yeah id actually eat mysis i have before didnt get sick or anything
Seriously...You cant go around believing everything you are told. Thats just not science, at all. Many of us here are either in various fields of science or have shown to highly appreciate the scientific method. You know that new people may be googling the process of cycling a fish tank, read something about shrimp being polluted, and then use that as an excuse to torture a damsel.

If you think about it, we all eat the same junk as everything else. Just because some catfish are polluted doesnt mean they all are.

You really shouldnt eat anymore mysis shrimp. It will wake you up at 4am for a date with the toilet.

Matt

Old 08-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am just forwarding a quote taken from a link suggested to me by thincat. I doubt you would talk to him that way. Im just saying there are pros and cons to each method. I dont care about the "freswater mold" nor do I have the time to learn. Unless you are a microbiologist and can tell me (I would be happy to quickly learn) I would would put money on the fact that there may be a saltwater mold that thrives on a rotting saltwater shrimp that could cause problems for fish.

Next step in setup?

link has been deleted but post ends check out this site

Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Seriously...You cant go around believing everything you are told. Thats just not science, at all. Many of us here are either in various fields of science or have shown to highly appreciate the scientific method. You know that new people may be googling the process of cycling a fish tank, read something about shrimp being polluted, and then use that as an excuse to torture a damsel.

If you think about it, we all eat the same junk as everything else. Just because some catfish are polluted doesnt mean they all are.

You really shouldnt eat anymore mysis shrimp. It will wake you up at 4am for a date with the toilet.

Matt
nobody said torture a damsel what was said is there are pros and cons to each. In fact I said "some people still"
Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
I am just forwarding a quote taken from a link suggested to me by thincat. I doubt you would talk to him that way. Im just saying there are pros and cons to each method. I dont care about the "freswater mold" nor do I have the time to learn. Unless you are a microbiologist and can tell me (I would be happy to quickly learn) I would would put money on the fact that there may be a saltwater mold that thrives on a rotting saltwater shrimp that could cause problems for fish.

Next step in setup?

link has been deleted but post ends check out this site

Why would I talk "that way" to Thincat? I believe that link shows him suggesting the raw shrimp method for cycling. You have me confused amigo.

Heres the deal...Many people here have very nice tanks and have had them for many years. They have never seen or heard of this possible shrimp fungus you speak of, nor any other poisons from the shrimp. While a slim chance exists, it is highly unlikely. I suggest you worry less about such things and more about enjoying the tank.

You guys arent using sound reasoning. Many things said defy my sense of logic, therefore I am out of this discussion.

Matt
Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have taken no side to any method. Simply saying there are pros and cons to each. I don't know how else to say that. I put some very meaty live rock in my tank with some bacteria and it cycled in a week. Just out of curiosity for those of you that have used the shrimp method how long do you end up leaving it in? And for the op what would water condition be like after two weeks?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

you have a enclosed enviroment being your tank. so why put something in there you have no clue where its been?
and also mrg. im in science too
Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Mupwi, I'm sorry your thread has turned into this. This will also be my last comment in this thread because at this point these two are just trolling IMO. Please open another thread if you have further questions on anything.

You two are still arguing this nonsense, and have yet to give any empirical evidence to show your point. I realize you are saying there are pros and cons to each side, but you haven't been able to prove any cons to the fishless cycle, which is why this thread has gone in this direction. If you honestly think that the shrimp will bring in rotten things, then don't use it. There are other methods of fishless cycling like using pure ammonia or large amounts of fish food. Frankly none of them risk contaminating a "enclosed environment" any more then adding a fish from your LFS. Even if you worked at your LFS for 40 years and trusted their systems and livestock, there is NO guarantee that contamination couldn't come in from the wholesale dealer, a returned item or even someones hand. Putting anything in your tank will come with a risk of contamination, I've just never ever heard of a shrimp doing that.

IMO you should never use a fish to cycle, there is absolutely no need when there are more viable and humane options.

Again Mupwi, very sorry that one of your first threads here has turned into this.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Mupwi, I'm sorry your thread has turned into this. This will also be my last comment in this thread because at this point these two are just trolling IMO. Please open another thread if you have further questions on anything.

You two are still arguing this nonsense, and have yet to give any empirical evidence to show your point. I realize you are saying there are pros and cons to each side, but you haven't been able to prove any cons to the fishless cycle, which is why this thread has gone in this direction. If you honestly think that the shrimp will bring in rotten things, then don't use it. There are other methods of fishless cycling like using pure ammonia or large amounts of fish food. Frankly none of them risk contaminating a "enclosed environment" any more then adding a fish from your LFS. Even if you worked at your LFS for 40 years and trusted their systems and livestock, there is NO guarantee that contamination couldn't come in from the wholesale dealer, a returned item or even someones hand. Putting anything in your tank will come with a risk of contamination, I've just never ever heard of a shrimp doing that.

IMO you should never use a fish to cycle, there is absolutely no need when there are more viable and humane options.

Again Mupwi, very sorry that one of your first threads here has turned into this.
+1!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #29
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ok folks. We have spent enough time on the best way to cycle. The OP can gather from what we have given him. This is a topic that we are all passionate about but lets help the OP get through his question. Cycling is something we could all talk about for a long time but the OP needs our help.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #30
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I may have missed it here since I only read the OP (I skimmed some others). If I understand the actual original question.... check out the threads here. Atlanta Reef Club Forums - Search Results. There should be pertinent information there.

If you are going to make your rock, I would not worry about cycling until your return or later. The rock will need to cure and that includes water changes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com