Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 258
Growth on live rock

Cam anyone Id this?

I bought some additional live from a guy that was breaking down his reef tank and everything looks good they far. Coraline is starting to cover it up, but I've noticed the other day that the rocks have a yellow looking growth on those rocks. It's a web-like structure and it's fairly squishy. It has tubular formations on a lot of them and there seems to be more of them as time goes on.

Any ideas?

Pictures are off my phone but i can try to take some with my nikon slr is these aren't good enuf.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3368621691.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	79937   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-914791705.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	79938  

__________________

__________________
Tmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Those are sponges. Harmless filter feeders and nice to have. Also, in the first picture, there is an asterina starfish. They're pretty harmless as well. Just watch out as they can cause some damage in large numbers.

Xtalreef - Reef Saltwater Aquarium
__________________

__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Those are sponges. Harmless filter feeders and nice to have. Also, in the first picture, there is an asterina starfish. They're pretty harmless as well. Just watch out as they can cause some damage in large numbers.

Xtalreef - Reef Saltwater Aquarium
Rick:

Thank you so much for the quick response. I was wondering and hoping that they weren't bad!

One question tho: I thought sponges die if they're taken out of water? ..... and these rocks were of course taken out of water for about 1 hr. They made it somehow I guess. How is anyones guess.

I've also noticed more of those little starfish too. What kind of damage can they do and how can I tone down their numbers if they become too many?
__________________
Tmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyboy View Post
Rick:

Thank you so much for the quick response. I was wondering and hoping that they weren't bad!

One question tho: I thought sponges die if they're taken out of water? ..... and these rocks were of course taken out of water for about 1 hr. They made it somehow I guess. How is anyones guess.

I've also noticed more of those little starfish too. What kind of damage can they do and how can I tone down their numbers if they become too many?
No problem!
Different species of sponge deal with air differently. The type that tends to come along on rock seems to be more forgiving in air, at least IME. The larger sponges however, do not do well in air.

As for the asterina star fish, most species are harmless, a few are harmful. I'd just keep a look on the starfish and see what they're eating and/or if they're on your corals etc. As for removing them, I have in the past taken them out manually. I'm sure there's a natural predator of those starfish you can add if you'd like....just not sure what it is.

How many are in your tank now, and have you seem them increase in numbers?
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick

No problem!
Different species of sponge deal with air differently. The type that tends to come along on rock seems to be more forgiving in air, at least IME. The larger sponges however, do not do well in air.

As for the asterina star fish, most species are harmless, a few are harmful. I'd just keep a look on the starfish and see what they're eating and/or if they're on your corals etc. As for removing them, I have in the past taken them out manually. I'm sure there's a natural predator of those starfish you can add if you'd like....just not sure what it is.

How many are in your tank now, and have you seem them increase in numbers?
Understood about the sponges...

In regards to the starfish, I have noticed more of then since I started the tank. Definitely more but not mass numbers. I have noticed them on my corals but not the fleshy parts. I've noticed them chillin on the base of my hammer and such. The skeletal parts of the corals.

Should I be fishing them out??
__________________
Tmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
It's up to you really. I'd probably move them to my sump or get rid of most of them.
__________________

__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
growth, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideas on Oto Losses HooKooDooKu Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 16 03-02-2012 03:00 PM
opinion on plants BHead707 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 10 03-02-2012 01:51 AM
Whats on my Flame Angel fishy62 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 13 03-01-2012 11:39 AM
white fin on yellow lab? missie Cichlid Discussion 4 02-29-2012 10:39 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.