Growth on my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey hope someone can tell me what this is , had a few funny looking plant things growing out my live rock, wasnt worried at first but more are starting to pop up and they look like they are getting bigger and also eating some of the shrimp I put in the tank for the fish, anyone know what they are??

image-2491551922.jpg

Thats aiptasia and its a pest anemonie. You'll want to get them out of your tank. Google how, there are a couple of methods.

Ok well a went n got a peppermint shrimp n think he may have been eaten! Iv not seen him since about half an hour after I put him in and all bad stuff is still in the tank n think it's gettin worse so I'll try buyin some of the stuff to put in the tank n kill them all see if that does the trick

Peppermints tend to hide inside the rock. I'd say give the peppermint more time. Half an hour isn't enough time to pass judgement on how the shrimp is doing/eating the aiptasia.

Peppermint shrimp will devour it too.

I think it's worth mentioning that while certain peppermint shrimp do eat aptasia's, not all do.

and even the ones that do more then likely wouldn't eat one of that size. They usually go after the small ones that hide in the crevices to eradicate the population or keep it very low. I have 5 in my 75 and i rarely see an aptasia, but every now and then 1 of them gets away from them and grows larger. When that happens, i need to use aptasia X b/c the shrimp's won't go after the larger ones.

That's not to say a certain shrimp won't man up and go for a large one, but it's not common for them.

Done it the usual way kept the shrimp in the bag a got from the shop and sat it in the water and every few minutes put a bit more of the tank water into the bag until the bag was nearly full then let the shrimp out into my tank after around a half hour, he seemed ok full of energy, but now iv not seen him for days, would he hide this long?
Iv ordered the aptaisia x as some of them have got pretty large, on another subject has anyone used the product "purple up" iv just ordered some of that too to help boost the coraline algae growth.

Back
Top Bottom