Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so is there a product out there with dosing instructions (i.e. oz/gal)?
I was reading a lot of posts regarding Ca and was considering adding and getting a Ca testing kit. Is there a preferred brand of Ca and dolomite?
Thanks in advance, Phyl!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

One calcium suppliment you can use in a pre-mixed format is B-Ionic. It's a two part solution. One is a calcium component, the other is an alkalinity component. It's a liquid that can be metered in in oz/gal. What Phyl is refering to is a piece of equipment that holds a chamber of granular aragonite and dolomite. CO2 and water are pumped through this media and dripped into a sump. The CO2 breaks down the aragonite and dolomite, adding Ca and Magnesium, while helping to maintain stable alk. I believe it also adds other necessary trace elements. The end result is that B-Ionic alone was good for keeping some corals alive and marginally sucessfull. The Ca reactor has gotten them to explode. The people who make B-Ionic also make a Mag suppliment but you should test for it if you are going to add it. Salifert makes an easy to use Mag test kit (actually, all of their test kits are really good!).

HTH

120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ahhhh! Thanks, it's all clear to me now! How silly do I feel?!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nah, don't feel silly. It's all part of the learning process. A year ago (heck still!), I didn't know anything. Just keep asking and there will always be someone to fill in the gaps.
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck
aznbob what part of new orleans are you from?
I'm on the westbank (the dry side) of new orleans. Because of katrina for the first time I'm kinda glad I'm on the westbank. :P

Tags
growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com