Growth Sequences, et al...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just recently dug up the before pictures to a couple of afters I've taken lately and thought I'd post them. We've recently brought a Ca reactor online and have found that the change in the corals has been amazing as a result. Most of the growth seen here is really since November of this year when the reactor came online.

Here's the before picture on my Tricolor Acropora (January 2005)
nana1.jpg

and the after (January 2006)
nana2.jpg

The before picture for my Acropora Microthalma (May 2005)
micro1.jpg

and now (January 2006)
micro2.jpg

A random sampling of some other corals:
NJRC Frag stock:
p1245674.jpg

p1245661.jpg

p1245671.jpg

p1245682.jpg

p1245692.jpg

p1245693.jpg

p1245696.jpg

My babies:
p1245659.jpg

p1245662.jpg

From Ilia:
p1245645.jpg

Raffle "Frag" we won (blue/pink):
p1245641.jpg

Another from the millli collection (not sure what color this one is going to be)
p1245648.jpg

Green from Alti's Reef
p1245679.jpg

Red Milli from Copps
p1245646.jpg

They are some awesome pics Phyllis. I'd love to see the others though. All I get is the red X :wink:

*edit*
Never mind. The photos are coming through now. Nice! :D

I always forget to move the pictures up until I'm staring at little red Xs! LOL! Luckily most of them were already up and I just needed to move a few of them.

yeah, those are incredible pictures....thanks for sharing

Very nice pictures Phyl.

I love these progression and documented pictures. It give me a idea of how fast certain corals grow and what I have to shoot for with my corals.

Thanks. I had heard over and over again what a difference a Ca reactor would make on the tank but it was hard to really appreciate (after all I was keeping my Ca up...) but somehow the Ca reactor Ca is more... bio-available than the b-ionic v. of the magic component. My blastos are multiplying like rabbits, the SPS have taken off and are colored up more than ever... Just the MH alone wasn't really enough to cause the growth explosion but when all the factors were put together the result is staggering. Those two growth sequences were literally both still just sticks in November. In 2 months time they've exploded.

I'm excited to see my Milli's grow as well as they're one of my favorite acros. The encrusting and the buds along the bottom of the plug on the unknown colored acro are all recent growths as well.

Here's a shot of that Blue/Pink Milli from November:
pinkmilli1.jpg

I love those pics! Wow!
Please don't think I'm stupid, but what is a Ca reactor?

The only stupid question... blah blah blah... If you don't ask you'd never know, right?!

Calcium Reactor. It uses CO2 to breakdown araganite into calcuim. It is a great way of adding Calcium and Alkalinity to the aquarium in a rather automated fashion. Mix in a handful of dolomite and it even maintains the magnesium for you.

Ok, so is there a product out there with dosing instructions (i.e. oz/gal)?
I was reading a lot of posts regarding Ca and was considering adding and getting a Ca testing kit. Is there a preferred brand of Ca and dolomite?
Thanks in advance, Phyl!

One calcium suppliment you can use in a pre-mixed format is B-Ionic. It's a two part solution. One is a calcium component, the other is an alkalinity component. It's a liquid that can be metered in in oz/gal. What Phyl is refering to is a piece of equipment that holds a chamber of granular aragonite and dolomite. CO2 and water are pumped through this media and dripped into a sump. The CO2 breaks down the aragonite and dolomite, adding Ca and Magnesium, while helping to maintain stable alk. I believe it also adds other necessary trace elements. The end result is that B-Ionic alone was good for keeping some corals alive and marginally sucessfull. The Ca reactor has gotten them to explode. The people who make B-Ionic also make a Mag suppliment but you should test for it if you are going to add it. Salifert makes an easy to use Mag test kit (actually, all of their test kits are really good!).

HTH

Nah, don't feel silly. It's all part of the learning process. A year ago (heck still!), I didn't know anything. Just keep asking and there will always be someone to fill in the gaps.

hackteck said:
aznbob what part of new orleans are you from?

I'm on the westbank (the dry side) of new orleans. Because of katrina for the first time I'm kinda glad I'm on the westbank. :p

Back
Top Bottom