growth trumpet coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
evening all,
i added a trumpet which 12 heads to my tank 2 months ago, all is good. some of the heads was white but now they are all a nice brown. i was just wondering how long does it take for new heads to start to grow and how it happens? is it a slow growing coral?
thanks will8

It is not a really fast growing coral. I started out with 2 heads and I now have to colonies that are about the size of softballs.

You will know they are growing when you see the head/polyp start to split. You will probably see 2 mouths appear on one head and it will split between them and then you will have 2 heads where there was only one. It takes time. Mine grew from 2 polyps to well over 200 but it took a year and a half to do that.

ive had mine for about 2 or 3 months now, i got it as 3 heads and it is just now starting to split.

... some of the heads was white but now they are all a nice brown...

Brown??? Light info please? Lots of colors, but brown is not typically a color suggestive of health in a stony coral. It begs the question of what kind of lighting you have and of what color temp?

Brown??? Light info please? Lots of colors, but brown is not typically a color suggestive of health in a stony coral. It begs the question of what kind of lighting you have and of what color temp?

I have seen brown trumpets...usually having bright blue or green mouths...

A pick of your coral would help.

Mine were brownish too, with turquoise centers. I started with 3 or 4 and they split a couple of times in the year or so I had them. I'd be more concerned about the fact that they were white at first. But, some corals can and do change color quite dramatically when moved to a new tank with new lighting etc.

I recently also added a brown flesh/green mouthed trumpet to my tank. It came from a low light tank. In my high light tank (about 8w/gallon) it "inflated" for a couple of days than turned white and didn't inflate for a few days, just bare skeleton. I have to be really careful with LPS's in my tank as I have baked a couple from being too high:lol: I thought it was dead because at night white stringy tentacles that looked more like spaghetti worms would extend from the edges and I thought it was dead flesh (not feeding tentacles from the mouth like normal). After about a week, it started to inflate a little but the flesh was clear'ish. Now it's inflating well but it's much lighter brown than originally. More like a peach color. Like it morphed in a high light tank. After about a month of "healing" it's began to form dual mouths on a couple of polyps.

Sorry for such a long story, just enforcing "newfound77951" statement on how they can react in different lighting.

Back
Top Bottom