Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Right, but enough is enough. They bind the most nutrients when they are growing. I think pruning the algae back is like most plants, it stimulates growth. I recommend using scissors to cut out sections of old looking chaeto so you are leaving hundreds of freshly cut growth ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
+1 Plants or any living things have life span. They ultimately die when the time comes. If the algae color is not right then it is dying. They are plants so pruning is a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

The sump was getting too full of chaeto. I needed to make room for more growth

Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haven't you figured out where those extra nutrients are coming from? I would change another kind of food or stop if not minimize frozen food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Freak

Algae scrubber works great, had one on my 800g , I would get one going ASAP , takes a couple weeks to get some growth going.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well after 2 days in the sun my chaeto had dried and turned white. And the deer didn't eat it, yeah.
I weighed it and there was 44 grams of dried plant there. I was wondering how much weight in food I put in so I added 3 weeks of pellets to the scale. Nothing. Didn't even measure 1 gram. So I added more and was going to weigh half of what I I took out. After adding a bunch I ended up with only 1/4 of the weight, or 11 grams.
That is more food than I feed in a few months. I should be winning this algae war. Nutrients out wayyy exceeds nutrients in. I'm soo confused.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure you don't have any die off of any kind in your tank? CUC or something else maybe?

And I'm willing to bet it only takes a little bit of input to produce a ton of output algae growth, so I wouldn't expect a 1:1 ratio between the two.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grrr, Persistant Green Hair Algae

I'm planning on putting a waterfall style algae turf scrubber (ATS) in my sump. I would appreciate any pics and ideas to help with my designing ideas
Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Check YouTube. Several ideas there.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I need to tweak my skimmer. The skimmate is kinda fizzy, for a lack of better words. If I lower the back pressure (Reef Octopus internal) it doesn't skim much. If I increase it it will fill the cup in a few hours. It fills now in about 2 days, but it's more like bubble popping spray that fills the cup than bubble overflow.
So I'm thinking of changing the skimmer depth in the sump by either adding another 1/2" spacer and increasing back pressure or removing a spacer and increasing back pressure.

Both are a pain to do, so I'm hoping someone can tell me which will give a dryer skimmate. Save me the PIMA of trying both.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The bubble column should stack dryer and dirtier bubbles to the top and push them over into the cup. If they are just fizzing and popping, something isn't right or there are no organics to remove.

Tags
air, algae, green, hair, hair algae, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com