Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would the use of a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to kill off the algae have any negative side effects on the rock (ie, killing the BB residing in/on it, etc)?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm, that might work in my curing bucket

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It! - Disease & Pest Treatment - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm...There is a linked post there that talks about dosing 1mL per 10 gallons per day. I might give that a shot, maybe start at 0.5mL to see what happens. I have a skimmer so it should be able to suck out any DOCs that arise...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm gonna do a h2o2 bath on my curing rocks tomorrow. Here's a pic after 2 weeks in the darkened bucket. And this rock was turned the other way up too, so it's getting even less light than almost none.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405982031.867259.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	243919

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a stiff bristled nail brush and scrub first....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grrr, Persistant Green Hair Algae

Unfortunately the gha, despite its immortality, is nothing compared to the tougher purple coarse algae that I have. And a mere wire brush does nothing for that. Dynamite is nigh on ineffective. I have even removed a few small rocks from my system and put them in the sun for a couple months. Then I burned the dry algae, rinsed it and put it back in my sump, away from the light. A coupe weeks later I remembered to check and the godlike algae was back. It wasn't on other sump rubble, just those few pieces.
I removed it and threw it in the bushes.

Wire brush he says! Ha.

Chemical warfare is my next try

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, maybe I don't have GHA. It's green and hairy, but I was able to scrub it out with this brush from Target:
NAIL BRUSH 02586 TRIM CONTOUR : Target
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, I did a 1mL dose of peroxide last night. I took photos, and will continue to do so, for about 10 days. I have 15 gallons net in the tank, so I should be doing 1.5mL, but I'd rather start with less, especially since I scrubbed off a lot of the algae. If, after 10 days, I don't see any improvement, I'll increase to the suggested 1.5mL for 10 days.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

It does sound like GHA you have. I have it too, but I also have this purple, stringy algae that must have its roots buried in the center of the rocks.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Would the use of a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to kill off the algae have any negative side effects on the rock (ie, killing the BB residing in/on it, etc)?

Peroxide will most likely kill all the bb. I've used it on some turf algae and the rock that I've treated turned white. I would try do the treatment out the tank and rinse the rock with loads of water to make sure I'm not putting anything in the tank.

Tags
air, algae, green, hair, hair algae, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com