I've read lots of articles where people have used the minimal dose of 1 ml/10 gal
per day as suggested. Although everybody who posted their stories said there was no catastrophic crashes in the tanks, nobody mentioned doing this for long term. I don't plan on that either. But everybody's other suggestions are, frankly, completely ineffective.
I feed my fish 1 time a week a couple tiny bits of food. What they eat in about 10 seconds. Some weeks I forget. I'm not overfeeding.
My whites have been off for over a month, almost 2. The blues are on for a mere 6 hours a day (all bulbs are brand new). The rocks in my curing bucket are covered (heated, circ pump and an air stone to ensure good oxygenation). Algae is growing great in both places. Cutting lights, completely ineffective.
Skimmer gets 1 cup of skimmate in 2 days.
Cheato grows very well in the sump.
Phosguard in the reactor.
Phosphate and nitrate are both 0 (don't tell me yet again that is because the algae is consuming them). There is absolutely no die off in the curing bucket either.
I'm at a loss.
Tonight I'll dip 1 test rock from the curing bucket in an H2O2/FW
(30ml to 1 gal
) dip for 5 minutes. Tomorrow I hope I see algae death.
P.S. Algae scrubber is being constructed.