Grrrr! Darn hermits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I am sure this is a dumb question, But first let me start by saying Since my last post most of my hair algae has turned white and i think is going to start clearing up here soon. Which brings me to my Problem. On Friday I went to my LFS and got 15 blue leg hermits and 15 Snails to help with the clean up efforts. So I brought them home and dripped them into my tank (by the way can inverts bring in any kind of diseases? or should i QT them first?) by last night i have found only 7 of the 15 snails. i think the hermits are killing the snails and even them self’s. Why is this happening? Can’t they get along? There’s plenty of food for all in the tank am sure. LOL

by the way since cleaning my tank i have this clear film on the top of my tank. i have a maxi jet 900 pointed at the top for good surface ripple but don’t seem to be helping.. So I added a 1/2-cup of carbon this evening hoping it may help some as well.

It`s just the way hermits are. You are not the first that has happened to. Glad to hear the algea problem has been getting better. I would think between the PH and carbon your protien sheen should disapear.

what causes the protine sheen?

should i have both hermits and snails? and since the hermits kill the snails and them selfs should i move rock work to get out the dead Inverts?

did you buy new shells for the hermits to move into? because if there isnt a new shell for them and are ready to move they will kill the snail for thier shells. happened to me before/

I speak from experience...even with shells in the tank hermits will kill snails. That's just part of their nature. Next time around get Scarlet Reef Hermits. They are more expensive but should leave your snails alone.

The sheen on the surface should be removed via your overflow unless you don't have one.

What type of snails did you get. If you have nassarius snails then may just be under the substrate.

Also, since I am assuming you have small hermits it iot uncommon for them to stay hidden. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not there.

Back
Top Bottom