GSP tank...new addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been keeping a Green Spotted Puffer in salt water for several months now on the advice of the folks at pufferlovers.com. He has done well and is growing like a weed. I recently overhauled his tank...got rid of the gravel and clay flowerpot and added about 50lbs of LR and a sand bed. The rock was fully cured from my other tanks...never saw any trace of ammonia or nitrite. I also added a few hermit crabs and an emerald crab...puffer inspected them and decided they weren't worthy of his attention. He is so messy that something has to be in there to clean up after him. Anyway, I can recommend this type setup for anyone who has or wants to get a GSP...they are great fish and have quite a personality.
Tonight, I added a small snowflake moray to the tank. These will be the only inhabitants. I dropped the water level about 4" and stuffed filter floss in the few tiny holes in the tank cover...yeah, I've scraped a moray up off the floor before. So far, the puffer is ignoring the moray. Anybody else had any experience with a combo like this?

In my opinion puffers and eels make great tankmates, however there are exceptions such as keeping a green moray. Puffers skin are actually toxic so (unless you have a overwelming fish such as a green moray) nothing is going to mess with it.

Once again good decision for tankmates.

How big is your tank?

Both fish will grow rapidly so if you have a small tank there is a good chance they will grow out of it.

They're in a 29 right now. I expect I'll have to move them into larger accomodations eventually. I have a 55 that isn't doing anything so I may set that up for them one day. Max size on the puffer is about 4-4 1/2" I think...working from memory here and it's early in the morning. About 26-28" for the eel.

The eel needs a few days to get acclimated and comfortable. I never see him now...he has burrowed up under a large piece of rock and stays completely out of sight. He should start coming out a little soon and I'll try to take a few pics then. He's eating now so that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom