Guess what, guess what, guess what, guess what, guess what??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayesha97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking really closely at my substrate and i was these little spiny worms, and I asked my boyfriend if they were bristle worms. He came over and said, looks like it. Then he said, "Hey this isn't a bristle worm, it has a body, it's a Brittle Star!!"
So YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
They are pale white and very tiny. I'd take a picture but my camera won't zoom in that close. I guess there was some cooler stuff hidden in that live rock that i bought. I love not having to pay extra for cool things :lol: .
On a side note, how do I tell which bristle worms are which and which ones are bad?

LoL, you just wait, that one white brittle star will become 1000 in a couple months. They multiply like rabbits. However they are great fauna for your system, so the more the merrier. As far as the bristle worms go, anything but a fire worm is fine, and your chances of getting one are likely slim anyhow.

Hey congrats.. I just found a little star in one of my rocks today too! It's got thin long arms with banding on them, not sure if it's a serpent or brittle.

Definitely one of the coolest hitchhikers you can get 8)

Congrats :D

don't worry about the bristleworms (fireworms are the same thing, just red) they are both detrivores and eat left over food and waste. They're only bad if you touch them :wink:

I had these also they never turned into anything.all I could see was liek one arm in several spots in the tank.so good luck:)

yeah with bristleworms, 99.99% of all species are completely harmless (and yes that is a fact). The few species that are dangerous like fireworms are only dangerous when they get rather big, so you should worry.

just dont faint when you pick up a rock and see one the size of a garter snake......

Hara said:
just dont faint when you pick up a rock and see one the size of a garter snake......

No doubt... I picked up a hunk of rock in one of my SW tanks and holy crap there was a big fat pink one that looked like a nightcrawler. Bleagh!

Those little white stars are miniature hawaiian brittles, they are ophuroids. As brisco said they reproduce big time if they get food and junk to eat.

I bought tonga rock from my LFS because they offered me a deal. I got it for 4.50 a pound and I could pick which pieces I wanted. It was very pretty with lots of green and purple corraline on it. BUT!....I am sooo jealous of all of you that are finding starfish and other critters in your live rock. I haven't found any hitchhikers other then sponges. :( What a bummer! Maybe you only get the cool stuff if you order from liverocks.com.

...Thinking about ordering a small batch of liverock from liverocks.com and wondering if there is a shipping charge on top of the price they quote??? Anyone know? They are unclear about this on the website. TIA

FishyMel, if it makes you feel any better I got 10 lbs of my LR from my LFS, and then the rest I bought off of an AA member. I also seeded the tank with about 2 lbs of live sand from LFS. I wish I was finding more stuff, but I'm purty damn happy with my tank. I started it at the end of Feb. and am slowly getting to include everything that I wanted. Next up is a goby of some kind, a cleaner shrimp, better lighting... a preskimmer for my protein skimmer..... I have a list of stuff, but I have my clownfish! :grin:

im very happy with the 6lbs of lr i got my my lfs...it is brazilian with fair coraline but it was loaded with pods and small brittle stars...and lots and lots of very small feather dusters..i have already seen pods on my base rock (lr has only been in for a week and a half)

Back
Top Bottom