Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Guides for Moving Reef Aquarium

Hi,

I will leave the topic to explain what I want to achieve.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thx.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
First thing I would do is read the article we have in our articles area on moving an established aquarium. The article was written with FW tanks in mind but the general process is the same for SW.

How far do you have to move? Is the info in your sig what your moving?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
i once had to move my 9 gal reef aquarium 15 miles to the near by school for a friend of mine who is a marine bio teacher and wanted it in his room. i started by dismantaling most of the suff, and i got it into my car as fast as possible. i first took out the pump, the n turned off the heater stuff like that, then i took all the live rock out and rapped it in damp newspaper and put it in a box. then i took out halve the water and picked the aquarium up and moved it. im not shure how youd physicaly move larger aquariums, but good luck
Old 01-11-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i did not see such an article...any links? i will be moving come Aug. and would be interested in some advise.

doug
Old 01-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=28
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There is a link in my sig to the articles area not to mention a link at the top of the page below the banner.

Its never good to move an aquarium with water in it. The reasons are numberous but a few of them include:

Excessive weight causing undue strain on those moving the tank and the seals of the tank itself

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where I am moving is about 10-15 minutes drive away. My friend offered to house my inhabitents whilst I move the rock, etc and he only lives about 5 minutes away driving so perhaps it would be better to leave them in his aquarium whilst I move and ensure that the bio-system is back up to scratch?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I would not put them in another system. The stress can be greater that way than putting them in buckets with your tank water. They would have to acclomate twice vs once.

Follow the article and put all your rock in tubs or buckets, keep as much water as you can and put the fish in buckets with tank water. Transport the tank empty and put your substrate in buckets aswell. You will need alot of buckets and tubs to do this move.

Set the tank up at the new place and put the fish back in. There should be minimal afffect to the overall biosystem as long as you do the move non stop. if you tear things down last and set the tank up first you should only have the tank apart for an hour or so if that.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as water goes I have several barrels which I use to purchase new aquarium water.

I was thinking of keeping the rock in a transport tub of aquarium water whilst I move. That way they keep fully wet.

I want to change the substrate from a fine sand bed to a gravel bed so this is the ideal time to make such changes I think.

Is it wise to change the substrate during this time? I also intend on cleaning the algae off the hard to reach places.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am moving in about a year. I thought of putting all my corals in a kiddy tub and hook up the heaters to maintain temperature and using the same huge rubbermaid containers I use to make my RO water to hold the original water from the tank and put the fish in one since my containers are dark to keep the fish calm (or will this have the reverse effect?) and then put the rock in rubbermaid containers, as well as the sand. What I am stuck on is the refuguim. I wil have mangroves in there with roots. My fuge will be a 30 gallon container. Yikes! Do you have a fuge also? If so, what are your ideas for moving it? I think the kiddy pool idea for the corals would work well mostly because you can easily see how they are doing in a busy time as it would be to move. Is this a possible idea? FF, can you use a kiddy pool? Then again, if you do not have tons of corals, would a 30g rubbermaid work? My main concern with moving is keeping the temp and everything stable while I am busy moving the tank.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, guides, moving, reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com