Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gulf or Keys, Which rock do you like best?

For the people who have purchased both of these. Which you would prefer on your next purchase and why?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have purchased both of these and since I have recently bought a bigger tank I will be buying some more LR soon but it really depends on what you are looking for. All of my rock has come from the guys at liverocks.com which I have hand picked since we live pretty close to them and I have found that the Gulf rock tends to come with more stuff on it. Stuff meaning anemones, some small coral, calcareous algae. The keys rock IMO is prettier it is more of a bright purple and bright red while the Gulf rock is the darker maroon and darker purple. All the rock I have got from them is loaded with tons of inverts: crabs, shrimp, worms, brittle stars, snails, urchins ect. I think when I go back after their next harvest soon I will probably buy the Keys rock. Only because I have acquired a lot of anemones already and I have a FOWLR so I love the pretty purple color. I hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just ordered 320lbs from liverocks.com half gulf and half keys. I was thinking of increasing my order of one of them but I think I will just stick with what I ordered. Seems like a good mix.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a great mix. The best of both world's.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am sure whatever you ordered from the guys there will look great and will be packed with life. I have never seen any LR like it anywhere that I have looked. The guys there are awesome to talk to about their LR they really know their stuff and they can tell you about most of the inverts on the rock and whether they are good for their tank or not. I hope your experience is just as good as ours has been.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I definitely like the keys rock better. I don't really care for most of the hitch hikers that came along in my order. I'd have to say that 80% of them were trouble makers in some regard or another. I've pulled most of what I could find out of there over time. I initially started out with a "how bad could they be" approach, believing in the innocent until proven guilty theory. Hmmph. Then my yellow polyps got eaten, then the worm was bothering the brain, then the bristle worm ate my shroom... Little by little all those critters (some of which I really liked) proved themselves trouble makers. *sigh*. I did get a lot of porcelain crabs along for the ride though and I really love them!

Next time I'd order all keys rock. That's just me though!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com