Had a little reproductive event in my tank last night..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilster1

Aquarium Advice Activist
(cue Barry White music..)

My tuxedo urchin is one of my favorite critters.. it has thrived in my tank and g grown a lot. last night during a water change with water that was a little colder than it should have been my urchin raced up the overflow housing to the waterline and spewed out eggs/sperm. Very interesting to watch..

Has anyone ever had urchins successfully reproduce in their tanks?

I have a pincushion and pencil, so not in my tank.

Awesome! I think any change in temp or water chemistry is enough to provoke them. Never witnessed it with my urchins.

I don't think it's possible for them to successfully reproduce though, not without you rearing the culture in a seperate tank.

Thats so cool congrats you should keep us posted :D

it was cool... all of his "tentacles" were extended like crazy, they would wave in toward his anus and out as he expelled the eggs.

We could sub in Lou Rawls for the music, turn on the disco ball, etc..

Wow, seems like you should place a playboy mag against the glass and leave a nice warm towel..not sure I want to stick my hand in the tank after that little display ; )

That`s pretty cool but as Lindsay said I dont think you`ll be able to see little ones in a tank. But I`ll bet it was a show to watch

Back
Top Bottom