hailde bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the BEST metal halide bulbs for a reef tank. I currently have coralvue. I didn't know if there was anything better growth wise for SPS maily.

What is "best" is a totally subjective term. The best par and the best growth is found with Iwasaki 6500K bulbs, but the color sucks, imo.

Until monday I was using coralvue 10K, I upgraded monday from 175W to 250W and changed to XM 20K, I have a coralvue 250W 14k bulb as wel, that I am keeping if I don't like the XM after burn in.

i havent heard to many good things about the XM's. I have a coralvue 10k and a coral vue 12k. I was just wondering if there were any other bulbs that are better for growth.

XM 10Ks have alot of PAR, they are probably the highest PAR 10K around and one of the hottest selling bulbs right now. I went with the XM 20K cause I have seen it and what it looked like, and I liked the color ;)

WOW by those charts coralvuw can't even touch the XM. What did you pay for the XM if you don't mind me asking you. I think i would like to try the xm 10k or do they make a 12k?

The XMs only come in 10k and 20k and they are usually 75.00 most places... The 10k is a very nice color and is more of a white than the Ushio bulb... IMO the XM 10ks were awesome... Marinedepot.com and Hellolights both carry them however marinedepot is cheaper for S/h

HTH<
James

The best par and the best growth is found with Iwasaki 6500K bulbs, but the color sucks, imo.
Another opinion:
If you desire the increased coral growth rate you get with 6500K you can supplement them with actinic bulbs to round out the spectrum. I use 2 175W 6500K supplemented with 4 40W actinics. The actinics make the tank bright white with a tinge of blue. It's nice looking, very natural but you end up having more bulbs. More bulbs = more $$.
There are many opinions and preferences when it comes to lighting, especially MH. There is good advice in this thread. Any of the suggested configurations will give very pleasing results.

PAR is not the only way to rate bulbs. The 20K radiums do not have a very high PAR Rating but they grow SPS like mad. There is just to many varibles to say one bulb is the best just by measuring one aspect of output. It is all speculation at this point; i would say try a few and see what works well for you. Or get feedback from others. The Iwasaki is a time proven bulb that works well in almost every situation.

hey darin can you pm me some prices please. oh by the way darin i got my CV halide working again. I talked to david at coral vuea and he told me waht could be wrong with it and sure enough he was right.

the metal tab was not making contact with the ignitor of the bulb. I gently shook it and it came back in contact with it. Now it works

For Coralvue and XM Metal Halied bulbs has anyone else tried Inreefs.com? I've shopped there several times now and I'm quite pleased with their shipping prices and cost of bulbs.

I have used Hamilton (by no means ever use hamilton) 10Ks, and Coralvue 20Ks, and here is my experience. 1.) the coralvue 20Ks are bad to the bone as far as color IMO, very natural looking, not too blue at all even with two 420nm's 2.) I have never seen a photograph posted on any of the comparison sites, or in any books that does justice to what a bulb will actually look like to you in your tank, and IME its going to be trial and error really until you get what you want. When these coralvues run their course I am going to get a pair of XMs to try them out, however I'll be ordering a pair of coralvues along with them as a trusty backup. I love that bulb.
Oh, Kevin... if you read this I am interested in a comparison from you about CV/XM aesthetically. I have a feeling we have different tastes for color temp, however it would be interesting. Take care and good luck on your bulb quests!

Oh, Kevin... if you read this I am interested in a comparison from you about CV/XM aesthetically. I have a feeling we have different tastes for color temp, however it would be interesting. Take care and good luck on your bulb quests!

To be honest, I never allowed it to burn in, so I can only say that pre-burn in, it was way too blue for my taste. It was also one of the CV problem bulbs, and burned my corals, so it didn't stay long. To be fair I would have had to replace the 20K and allow it to burn in and then compare, I just couldn't stand looking at my tank that color for a couple of weeks. I switched to the 12K which wasn't that mch difference pre burn in, but I toughed it out and loved the color, problem with it was it was another of the bad sleeve batch and further burning ensued, this was corrected with a glass splash guard, but the ignitor failed on that buld, and rather than go to the trouble of replacing it, I upgraded and went with the XM. The XM is still burning in, but I like it alot so far, hoping it will tone down a bit as it burns in, but all I got to do to make it "perfect" is to turn off the actinics.

Back
Top Bottom