Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.J. Nich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry I haven't put any descriptions for my tanks yet (I will get to it soon). Anyway I have a 40 gal. Puffer tank with 3 Green spotted puffers (GSP) and one porcupine puffer. I converted to GSP to salt water almost a year ago and added the porcupine after, they are all doing great, only problem is I recently started getting long green hair algae (prolly from over feeding and not keeping up 100 percent with cleaning, and the number one sin in algae control.. Using tap water for top offs). I've got it mostly under control now but, I'm wondering if there is anything I could at to the tank that would eat the algae but not be eaten by my puffers? Thanks for any help :)

I think in your case you should cut down on the feeding,hand harvest the hair algae and maybe reduce the light for a few day.

Thanks for replying. I did all that and it's not bad any more. I was just wondering if there was anything I could add to help plus I'd like to get another fish in there for some variety. I just didn't want an expensive snack for my puffers

Go down to 5 hours a day on the light and if all you have are puffers I would drop in a uv light and hand feed each one this takes longer but you won't have as much leftovers
I had a blue electric leg hermit crab in my tank with my gsp back in the day the gsp never could get him lol

Back
Top Bottom