Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hair algae

Just finished cycling. I have noticed and increase in hair algae. I haven't been "feeding" the tank, my nitrites=0, nitrates=0, ammonia=0, ph=8.2. How can I stop this? I'm just afraid of the problem running away from itself.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Phosphates are your problem I bet. Its part of a new tank too. Everybody gets it. Just stay on track with water changes. Running some gfo would help. How long are your lights on?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also natural sunlight will increase growth.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not saying this is a fix all to your problem. Normally you would need to get to the root of the issue first. But emerald crabs love to dine on some hairline algae.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Today I put a yellow Tang 3 turbo snails and 3 hermit crabs. They had it cleaned up in a few hours. The tang started eating after about 10 minutes and didn't stop all day! Definitely going to look into the cause. I don't have a phosphate test today but suspect the carbon I got in bulk from the lfs may be bad. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Fish
Today I put a yellow Tang 3 turbo snails and 3 hermit crabs. They had it cleaned up in a few hours. The tang started eating after about 10 minutes and didn't stop all day! Definitely going to look into the cause. I don't have a phosphate test today but suspect the carbon I got in bulk from the lfs may be bad. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Slow down. What size tank is this?

Carbon will not cause an algae problem. Algae is caused by light and nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Adding things to eat it doesnt do much when you consider the fish eats it and poos it right back out into nutrients that feeds more algae. You have to break the cycle by removing the source.

More info on your setup would help a lot. Also algae in a new tank is normal. If its excessive growth then its a problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carbon can leach phosphates if not rinsed or soaked well; especially if it's low grade.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Slow down. What size tank is this?

Carbon will not cause an algae problem. Algae is caused by light and nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Adding things to eat it doesnt do much when you consider the fish eats it and poos it right back out into nutrients that feeds more algae. You have to break the cycle by removing the source.

More info on your setup would help a lot. Also algae in a new tank is normal. If its excessive growth then its a problem.
It's fine to add that. Inverts are almost 0 bioload. More info would be helpful though.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBarbs

It's fine to add that. Inverts are almost 0 bioload. More info would be helpful though.
Never said it wasnt ok, im more concerned about the tang. Adding things to fix a problem will never work.

Oh and about the carbon i was assuming its used properly. Low grade carbon is exactly that so why buy it to begin with.

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com