Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minkin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've looked through several other threads and I just cannot get this green hair algae to go away. Right now I'm running my mechanical sponge and then some purigen as chemi pure elite and about 10 pounds of live rock in my back chambers.

I have a 20gal reef.

I top off with r/o water which I've tested and is good.

I do a 20% water change every week. I clean the sponge once a week. I don't overfeed. I have a 2 clowns, lawn moor blenny. 1 Peppermint shrimp. 1 Emerald crab and several red leg hermits.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I've physically removed it with my hand and it just grows back within a week.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated.

What are you doing water changes with? I'd be willing to say that the nutrient issues are coming in from either the water or food source.
If not using ro/di water, you should do so. If you are, test the TDS to ensure it reads 0. Then, if you are using frozen food make sure you are rinsing it as they are packaged in basically phosphate water.

Water changes I use the salt water from the lfs.

I use ro/di to top off also from the same store. I've had them test it and it's always reads 0.

And I use pellets most of the time. I barely use frozen food maybe a small amount once a week.

When there is an issue going on in my tank, there is only one person you can trust. That's you. You need to get your own test kits and to be able to make your own water. They could be using inaccurate test strips rather than liquid tests. Who knows what kind of water they are providing, even if 'ro/di' the filters could be past their prime. Some food for thought...and speaking of food, flakes and pellets are all phosphates as well.

Get rid of the sponge or clean it a least every other day. A week is too long. Would you let a pile of uneaten food sit in your tank for a week? That and some GFO of phosgaurd should solve the problem over time. Hair algae can pop up quick but it can take a long time to get rid of. As you get rid of it and it dies off it becomes fuel for more algae. Get as much out as you can mechanically.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use a toothbrush to remove large chunks of hair algae but it will grow back until you fix the nutrient issue.

Back
Top Bottom