Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mwrmma said:
lots of hermit crabs and snails
These can help, but they are only a band aid solution and you will continue to have the same problem.
What/how often/how much are you feeding?
How long is your lighting cycle?
What are your water parameters?

I only feed a small amount of frozen every other day.
Lights are on about 8 hours a day.

Amonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10

I have noticed my pincushion urchin eats hair algae and the coraline off the rock.

cutting back on feedings, adding proper clean up crew such as snails (Astreas, my advice), scarlet crabs and maybe a spiny urchin. Most folks let their clean up crew deplinish so much that none of the excessive waste is being consumed and left to essentially rot. Your nitrates are not off the chart but 10ppm is enough to keep algea well fed.

Peace.

All good info. A good starting place is to evaluate your feeding style and test for PO4 in your tank and source water.

Use ro/di water, a good skimmer, and a fuge. All will help remove the nutients are are feeding the algae. I'm going through a hair algae battle on my new (5 months) 125 gallon tank. Not unexpected. The algae has started to slowly diminish, I've just got to wait it out. If you want a fish to eat the stuff, get a foxface if your tank is big enough. I got one a week ago, not to eat the algae, but because I like the look of them. Well, he's mowing down the algae, so that's a good side benefit. I'm still doing my best to make sure the algae doesn't have the nutriants to grow.

I also added a phosphate reactor about a month ago, running Rowaphos.

hmmm...is your sump part fuge also? have you cleaned your skimmer and sump out recently? Do you have a buildup of detritus in your sump/skimmer/overflow? How often do you do PWCs? 22g total volume is not a lot to dilute no3/no4/p04 ect. Just my thoughts...

beachbumin said:
Lawnmower Blennies are a personal fav if you can fit them.
This is also a bandaid solution, once the algae is gone, they usually starve within a month or so, unless you can get them to eat prepared foods, sorry, beach, not trying to rain on your parade, but I have read many posts about this, although I have no personal experience.
dsmlrussell, what kind of filter are you using, if you are, are there any biowheels or bioballs or sponges?

I have to agree with Scott. Find out what is causing the algea first and take care of the problem.

i've heard astrae snails and hermits eat lots of algae, either this isn't true, or they dont eat enough

No problem Roka, you are right about the band aid. Just wanted to give him the fastest way that I have found. My long term fix was a well stocked fuge and a ton of Chaeto! HTH

Back
Top Bottom