hair algae advice what else can i do ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i totally forgot the tank had to be drilled for a sump so that is out of the question

so here it is remember i've had this for weeks not days it's in the pics further up but it gotten heaps worse :cry:

img_794829_0_5b39a44e0557b99ab4556f753e55055e.jpg

img_794829_1_050648d1b2dcc0dc905e7436c36c373f.jpg

it is diatoms right ??/

no it doesnt, you can use a an overflow box that hangs on the tank and has jtubes in it...I have two tanks set up like that and it works well.

Ouch! After a lot of manual removal, you need to get that PO4 out of the tank and your top off water. Cyano will continue to plague the tank until it eventually crashes if you don't. PO4 should be no higher than .03 meg/l, preferably undetectable, in a reef. You must also use a good PO4 test kit, that can measure very small amounts. Salifert and Seachem both make good products, I would highly recommend them to you. Best of luck.

PS- I use a HOB overflow as well(CPR brand). It works very well.

Not diatoms...that is cyano...

What kind of substrate is that? It looks like crushed coral. If it is you may want to consider sucking that stuff out and replacing it or most of it with sand. CC tends to hold detritus and left over food bits which can add to your algae problem.

I think the larger issue is your source water having high nitrates and or phosphates.

it's like crushed shell

i thought cyano was only red or green
i know that it was diatoms as first i thought it had just gotten thicker
also i can't have sand we're not aloud to have it here

Cyano can be many a color... you aren't allowed to have sand there? Odd.

Anyways, what kind of flow is that area getting?I don't see any powerheads in your tank, just the skimmer, unless I'm missing it, which is entirely possible.

Cyano has an easier time gaining a foothold in low flow areas.

yeah it is there just above the clown and to the left a bit

i have thought for a while that it hasn't got enough flow can someone please refresh me on how many gallons or in my case litres it's suppose to turn over an hour ?

15x per hour turn over....so take your tank volume and multiply by 15 that is a good number to start with...I have more like 25x in my tank and will be increasing it to closer to 35-40x...but I am houseing SPS corals that like a lot of flow...and I also have low flow areas in the tank...it all depends on how you have things set up and what you are keeping....

well i've come to the decision that i have to call it quits i was willing to try and fix it but i've been thinking funds aren't that great and they aint gonna get any better so this hobby is going to be on hold for me for a fair while. Both the my tanks are going up for sale :cry: but i will get back into it when my partner and I get a house so thanks for your help everyone it was all very much appreciated and i will be back ! one day

Sorry to hear that, hope to see you back soon.

Back
Top Bottom