Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #31
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Emerald crabs will get rid of that stuff quick. Get two and watcht the stuff disapear. Of course you are going to have to figure out the cause so that its managable, but the crabs work wonders.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

well here's he plan

going to start with distilled water that's if i can find were to get it from my girlfriends work does it but it's $1.10 a litre 8O

lfs is ordering in 6 or so hermit crabs or a cucumber to help

dropping lighting back more

i still have to find out how much live rock i actually have to see if i need more

look at getting a higher flow power head

and change filter media to bio balls or something instead of all the fliter foam would it be still ok to leave 1 layer to catch the stuff that the other media doesn't ?

is all this right anything else i can do ?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have been having similar issues with my 125 g tank. The guys at my lfs swear by a product called SAT. It is a natural bacteria that eats the same food as the algea. The guys told me they were skepticle at first, but the results spoke for themselves. He has ordered me some which should be here any day. I am anxious to try it for myself. I will let you know if it works.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I just rechecked this thread. I think I must have been at work (can't see some pics there). Looking at the hair aglae, it doesn't look like there is any flow there. I run a canister, but I have already removed my sponges. I fought cyano and hair algea and finally went with the suggestion of running Purigen and phosban. I really didn't notice a huge difference until I added the purigen to my filter.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah i definatly know there isn't enough flow there have known for a while but funds just haven't allowed for a new one yet the one i currenly have is only a pond pump not a an actual power head

i will ask if my lfs can get this purigen stuff it's that really tiny ball stuff isn't it ? i think he may aready have some there but i'll check so take out the filter wool and replace it with this you say ?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Click on my link above and it will take you there. Also, check on the price vs. your LFS....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

well time to update so far i have only manually cleaned all the rocks took me a good four hours but it was worth it rocks are great for the minute but diatom has taken it's place it's back thicker and browner than ever i can't win still yet to change filter media haven't had a chance to yet

was thinking would it be worth getting a sump made up instead

so back to the diatom stuff that is wrecking my substrate it's so hard to break up it just sticks to it like glue why is this still happening i thought that these outbreaks were only suppose to be short lived
Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
It's possible that all the hair algae was providing a lot of nutrient export and removing it all at once caused a slight imbalance with the diatoms. If you have proper flow and balance in the tank the diatoms should go away in a few days time. That's my guess anyways. Have you tried the blackout suggested above?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would really think about buying a phoshate reactor in addition to the other suggestions- ie Kent marine phos reactor. They are not that much and really make a difference w/ nuisance algaes from what I've heard. I've been very pleased by the results Rowaphos has produced for me. I've been using it passively, a reactor will give much better results and waste less media.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

I have the PhosBan Reactor on my 55 and it is kind of big, not sure what it would look like in a 39. If you have a sump, that would be a great place to put it, where it is out of sight. I have a maji jet 400 ph attached to (required) and the valve barely letting any water in. I found out if there is too much movement, the phosban breaks up and ends up in the tank. I also run Purigen running in my canister filter.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com