Hair Algae Eaters (40 gallon max)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking for suggestions on fish that may eat hair algae or any algae that will go good in a 40 gallon reef tank (w/20 gallon sump). I have 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 firefish. I know that lawnmower blenny is gonna be a popular suggestion but what else? Maybe something with color like blue or yellow?

I know most if not all tangs like to graze algae on rocks/walls etc but a 40 would really be too small IMO. I have a similar issue w/ my 55. Just hair algae on the back wall. Very little if none on the LR. I was going to get a lawnmower blenny but I'm interested in something more colorful too.

One of the main things that I have been trying to do is get to the bottom of the issue in the first place instead of just trying to "put a bandaid on a broken elbow"

How are your parameters? Do you have a TDS meter? You use RODI water right?

liveaquaria.com says a starry blenny can go in a 30 so you could get one in your 40 they are my favorite blenny and have a great personality and beautiful colors

I know most if not all tangs like to graze algae on rocks/walls etc but a 40 would really be too small IMO. I have a similar issue w/ my 55. Just hair algae on the back wall. Very little if none on the LR. I was going to get a lawnmower blenny but I'm interested in something more colorful too.

One of the main things that I have been trying to do is get to the bottom of the issue in the first place instead of just trying to "put a bandaid on a broken elbow"

How are your parameters? Do you have a TDS meter? You use RODI water right?

Parameters are in check now. I was gone over a week on work and my gf didnt top of the tank. Salinity rose and my bta died. Went out of hand from there. Im fixing the problem just looking for a cool herbivore. Tangs are definatly out!

I've kept many algae blennies and never saw one eat hair algae. Not a first choice for me. I vote urchin.

Blue tuxedo urchins will eat many types of algae. And they cant put a spine in you. i have eight of them, they camouflage themselves with all sorts of things. As X said, my algae blenny eats anything but hair algae.

+1 on the urchin. I was always nervous to get one i didn't want him to pick up and move any corals or prick me

I had a couple big spots on the sides of my tank and the other day I sucked them all right off when i changed my water.

Im thinking about a tailspot blenny maybe. Anybody know anything about those abalones? They look pretty cool just wondering if they would eat hair algae or just slime algae.

Lawnmower blenny. I have one and I have 0 hair algae in my tank. The only problem with him is he craps, a lot

Just to add, the reason I did get him was because I had HA. He got rid of it all in about 3 weeks. But i also up'd my water changes so that helped also.

Well ive been pulling out hair algae for a while now. Gonna do another water change tomorrow. Im also dosing seagel carbon and purigen. Im still looking for a small colorful herbivore though. I really like the forktail blenny but i dont think its much of a algae eater. Anybody ever have one that ate any algae? Also would it bully my firefish?

I vote find the source not but an fish/invert, I learned that hard way! $50 sea hare, he was cool but not quite sure why he didn't make it. He was eating up the HA really good! $20 lawnmower/algae Benny, didn't touch it (very messy fish!). $20 two emerald crabs that now live in my sump because they were eating my corals! My favorite was the sea hare, AKA shriek. Ugly but I got attached! I was lucky and had he lived and cleared up the HA they would buy him back for $30 store credit. I liked him so much I was going to try and feed him but I'm not quite sure what happened he died pleasantly plump!

Here's what I've been doing..... I have a ton of corals so taking out each rock to scrub was not an option for me! I was doing 40% water changed weekly until I thought about it and was wiping my tank clean of bacteria and other beneficial minerals my corals needed. So I cut back to 5% every two weeks, corals look better. Cut my lights to 8hr. And I did what everyone has said not to do.... Scrubbed my rocks in the tank! I've been doing little by little every few days (my clown is nasty and I don't look forward to doing this!) after the water settles I blow off the rocks in areas I know have low flow and change the filter sock a needed. I have got rid of 3/4 of it so far (and it was bad)! I also upgraded my bulbs & my skimmer pump (helped now pulling out more gunk!). I agree be patient! It will get worst before getting better. I was so dumbfounded on what to do, maybe not the best idea but it sure did work (or is working). Good luck, sure I'll be crucified now for admitting this but you live & learn and everything else everyone told me to do wasn't working. Going on an 8mo battle for me! I'll cross my fingers & toes for you! Your not alone!

Back
Top Bottom