Hair algae help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do. They prefer diatoms and took care of diatom bloom in 2-3 days when I had my 27 gallon cube. Them moves on to live rock and sand to eat whatever small hair algae there was.
They were $5 each and I am happy I got them.

Here's one at work.

Great thanks!!

+1 on the banded trochus snails. They are quick and never stop moving. And I think their shells are cool with the stripes. Just bought some more myself yesterday. :) and as a bonus: they don't fall off an end up upside down as often as the astrea snails do.

I'm having a similar problem with my tank. It's been running fine for months and now there are fairly big patches of green hair algae all over the rocks. My phosphate and nitrate levels are reading zero too but I guess that's because the algae is using it all. I have a lawnmower bleeny but he won't touch the stuff so I wouldn't rush out and buy one as it may not eat it either. I'm thinking I might have to get more hermits and see how that goes.

Here's what you do. When doing a water change get 2 five gallon buckets. Fill both with water your pulling from the tank. Place the rock in bucket 1 and scrub the **** out of it. Place recently cleaned rock in bucket number 2. Repeat until rock is clean. You may need to dump bucket 1 and refill with water from your tank.

Replace the rock when done. Cut your lighting to 8 hours aday.

This will get it under control. Then get yourself an algae blenny. He/she will keep your freshly scrubbed rocks in check. This is what I did to my 130 and I have nothing left, it's been about a month and the blenny is fine and I can watch him ripping off whatever might begin to grow.

Here's what you do. When doing a water change get 2 five gallon buckets. Fill both with water your pulling from the tank. Place the rock in bucket 1 and scrub the **** out of it. Place recently cleaned rock in bucket number 2. Repeat until rock is clean. You may need to dump bucket 1 and refill with water from your tank.

Replace the rock when done. Cut your lighting to 8 hours aday.

This will get it under control. Then get yourself an algae blenny. He/she will keep your freshly scrubbed rocks in check. This is what I did to my 130 and I have nothing left, it's been about a month and the blenny is fine and I can watch him ripping off whatever might begin to grow.

Eek I'd have to take out every rock be aide the majority is on the bottom rocks! This will be a project for sure! Lol

Eek I'd have to take out every rock be aide the majority is on the bottom rocks! This will be a project for sure! Lol

There's no denying its a project. But, if you want it done quickly and keep it under control, this way worked out for me

Well here's what I did... Got me a lawnmower! Aka Kevin lol and a few snails they are hard at work while Kevin is still adjusting! My LFS said if in two days if I wasn't happy with him I could return him for full refund! That was a no brainer!

Attachments

• image-3813538455.jpg
    image-3813538455.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2035475493.jpg
    image-2035475493.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 83
Well here's what I did... Got me a lawnmower! Aka Kevin lol and a few snails they are hard at work while Kevin is still adjusting! My LFS said if in two days if I wasn't happy with him I could return him for full refund! That was a no brainer!

That's a plan IMO. I added one to my tank as well when I had a bad outbreak. Him and Gfo took care of it, it just takes time. Be sure to remove what you can prior to water changes as you work on bringing down the phosphate and/or nitrate.

That's a plan IMO. I added one to my tank as well when I had a bad outbreak. Him and Gfo took care of it, it just takes time. Be sure to remove what you can prior to water changes as you work on bringing down the phosphate and/or nitrate.

Will do!!! I know it won't be gone overnight but I had to do something!

Kevin is so cute!! I love lawn mower blennies!!

We're huge disney fans (cruises once a year, twice this year!) so all out fish have Disney names lol the lawnmower blenny looks like a one of a kind unique guy so he was named after the bird Kevin in the movie up! Lol

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I just read and no longer feel dead... in the water

Back
Top Bottom