Hair algae, HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dry rock is done to add probably better to go that route to avoid any mini cycles it will be colonized in a few months funny thing though when I set my tank up a few months ago I used half live half base and gha will not grow on the live rock but loves the base rock also I have a long spine sea urchin that loves gha and wont eat coral u could have 2 in a 110 probably

I am buying powerheads next week. Undecided if I want 4 Hydor 550 or two 1050's. The bonus to getting four is I can place two of them lower in the tank and not worry about a sand storm, if I get the two, I'll place them up top and aim them down slightly.

I agree here 4 lwould provide better aggitation

4 is the way I was leaning now ill figure exactly where to them. Hopefully that helps. I cut down the lights as of today. Also in doing research I found a few articles that suggest raising mg levels to kill off(starve) algae.

Anyone know if that magnesium rumor is true? Does raising it to 1750 really kill off hair algae?

I think if it was that easy no one would have hair algae kent mag supposedly has an ingredient to kill off bryopsis when used but i think youll be waisting your time on ha

I think if it was that easy no one would have hair algae kent mag supposedly has an ingredient to kill off bryopsis when used but i think youll be waisting your time on ha

Just lower nutrients and pull it out best way also macro algae to out compete for nutrients

Just bought a yellow head sleeper goby and two extra large(IMO) turbo snails! Hopefully the goby will clean up some of the sand faster then the hermits and snails I have.

Coral wrapped in HA

Here's a pic of one of my corals, it's got HA stuck in the coral. Any ideas on how to remove it, I've pulled the rock out before and this hair is stuck in a very hard almost glued down way to this rock it's strange to say the least. I got two turbos yesterday that amazed me and mowed almost all the hair on this rock where there's no coral, but I don't think they will be able to get the hair in the coral, suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 38
A coralife 65 skimmer is WAY underpowered for your size tank. I wouldn't use one of them on a 40 gallon tank, let alone a 110. I would up filtration, add more rock, up water changes, reduce feeding, not add any more livestock, and increase flow.

More powerful skimmer and maybe phosband. I put a bag of it next to m return pump and within days all hair algae was gone.

A coralife 65 skimmer is WAY underpowered for your size tank. I wouldn't use one of them on a 40 gallon tank, let alone a 110. I would up filtration, add more rock, up water changes, reduce feeding, not add any more livestock, and increase flow.

Ok so skimmer check. Here's a big question and I just happened to be looking it up. This is my first tank with a built in over flow. Incan scrape HA from glass and everything else but HOW do I get rid of the HA that is in my Overflow box?

I mean that algae can grow anywhere and it's only a benefit, unless it's seen in the display.

Gotcha that's what I thought you meant. I kind of a stupid question on my part but "better to ask a stupid question then remain a stupid person"

Back
Top Bottom