Hair algae issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseynewton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I believe I'm running my lights too long. Eight hours...

I have a thin hair type algae growing all over my the back of aquarium and all over the rocks.

Two questions.

One: Is algae harmful for the tank, is it something that I should get rid of if I actually like the look of it is it okay to keep?

Two: I'm cutting back on the lights to see if this will help get rid of it. I hear a lot of people do 12 hours on 12 hours off. I have a really high powered LED and I was just wondering how many hours should I keep it on?

14 gallon established saltwater. Reef for month.
Light LED: Kessil a150 LED light. Placed one foot above tank.

Attachments

• image-2462423481.jpg
    image-2462423481.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 152
caseynewton said:
I believe I'm running my lights too long. Eight hours...

I have a thin hair type algae growing all over my the back of aquarium and all over the rocks.

Two questions.

One: Is algae harmful for the tank, is it something that I should get rid of if I actually like the look of it is it okay to keep?

Two: I'm cutting back on the lights to see if this will help get rid of it. I hear a lot of people do 12 hours on 12 hours off. I have a really high powered LED and I was just wondering how many hours should I keep it on?

14 gallon established saltwater. Reef for month.
Light LED: Kessil a150 LED light. Placed one foot above tank.

Ignore my grammar and run on sentences please.

Algae is a sign of excess nutrients. If your results are at 0 it's because it is all bound up in the algae. If there are no nutrients, you could leave the lights on as long as you want. Hope this helps!

crister13 said:
Algae is a sign of excess nutrients. If your results are at 0 it's because it is all bound up in the algae. If there are no nutrients, you could leave the lights on as long as you want. Hope this helps!

Kind of helps. I've also recently cut back on feeding my clownfish. Like he gets a couple pecks of food a night. Tried to feed every other day but he seemed so hungry. Even pecked at my finger when I moved some coral around. Shocked me.

Where would other nutrients come from besides light?

Also is it bad if I keep it and grow it out? It looks pretty cool.

Well....... The algae itself is not bad but the reason it's there is. Your clown is completely fine feeding every other day. I feed mine every other day also. He knows he can manipulate you into giving him food. I feed my fish every other day and my grouper and eel every 3rd.

I had a hair algae issue as well. It came in on a live rock and quickly covered much of the tank. I was able to defeat it with manual removal and water changes. I had to scrape it off the glass with a razor because the algae scrubber just wouldnt do it. I used a filter sock on my overflow to catch all the loose pieces. I also cut back on my lighting from about 12-14 hours to 9 hours. I added a few snails and they have helped it from growing back. Gha free for 4 weeks now.

OscarFan76 said:
I had a hair algae issue as well. It came in on a live rock and quickly covered much of the tank. I was able to defeat it with manual removal and water changes. I had to scrape it off the glass with a razor because the algae scrubber just wouldnt do it. I used a filter sock on my overflow to catch all the loose pieces. I also cut back on my lighting from about 12-14 hours to 9 hours. I added a few snails and they have helped it from growing back. Gha free for 4 weeks now.

Nice hopefully I eps ate with similar results shortly.

your tank is really new too. I've always had outbreaks of different algaes when my tanks were new. I'm surpised at a month you're not getting diatom blooms.

Just keep workin at it. If you spend enough time taking care of your little ocean it will work itself out. Waterchanges and keeping decaying food/poop to a minmum is key.

I purchased the tank used. It was established for over a year. It's only been reef for a month. And I'm using new LED lights. How long would you leave them on daily they comparing to 150w metal halide lights again it's a 14 gallon Biocube.

Is that the kessil a150? How is it? They're really awesome lights. What k rating is yours? You could leave the lights in for 12 hours with no problem if you have no nutrients. Cutting time will help a little. Remember to keep your corals healthy though.
Edit: didn't see the info. Sorry.

crister13 said:
Is that the kessil a150? How is it? They're really awesome lights. What k rating is yours? You could leave the lights in for 12 hours with no problem if you have no nutrients. Cutting time will help a little. Remember to keep your corals healthy though.
Edit: didn't see the info. Sorry.

Yes it is. It's rated at 15k.

Do blue LED's contribute to algae growth if they are left on like over night ?

i have a fluval edge savior david 18watt LED

VinnyP said:
Do blue LED's contribute to algae growth if they are left on like over night ?

i have a fluval edge savior david 18watt LED

Yes that is likely causing the problem. A few moon lights is fine but thats 18watts. Too much for moonlighting.

Ok I'm not leaving them on at night just wondering if I could

Back
Top Bottom