Hair algae maintinence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question.. I made up about 40 gallons of new saltwater to house my rock . It sits dark and covered up with power heads circulating around the rock.. Will this water be any good to use in my display tank? I know it's a bad question.. But money is real right this month. Think it will be ok to use? All the Rock was scrubbed and washed out extremely well..

I have a question.. I made up about 40 gallons of new saltwater to house my rock . It sits dark and covered up with power heads circulating around the rock.. Will this water be any good to use in my display tank? I know it's a bad question.. But money is real right this month. Think it will be ok to use? All the Rock was scrubbed and washed out extremely well..
Use new water. We're you dosing it with ammonia to keep the bb alive.

After doing more reading. Ill just get rid of the water. Po4 and such will b loaded in that water. Even after water changes

Well tank is up and going again.. Going on week 3 and the sandbed seems to be matting up again.. I'm guessing I'm going to have to start the tank completely over and pull the sandbed..

Matting up? What do you mean exactly? Are you sure this is a problem? Do you mean the hair algae? Are you using the Kent product?

The sand is growing green and when you move it . It's like the very top layer is binded together from the algae ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387764159.057178.jpg

I am a little bit.. But I just did a 40 g water change yesterday. So of course I'm back down to probably 1300 again. And I'm nervous with it. Because I just stocked more snails and I've read that raising the mag will kill crabs and snails.

I've got even more snails and crabs coming this Tuesday. With some cheato..

So....what are we trying to accomplish here? Isn't the problem hair algae? Did you google it? The Kent Tech-M has worked for many people.

I want to get rid of the hair algae.. But I just dropped 150$ in a clean up crew.. I don't want to just throw the money away.. What should I do?? Stop water changes and raise mag not worry about the clean up crew? I could put everything that comes in . In a different tank.. Or do you think they will be ok? I did just notice today. My ro/di filters and resin is less than 2 months old and my hanna po4 checker read 100. Di was still blue too. Which is upsetting... But changed it out . Now it's back to 10 after I ran a few gallons they

Right now my mag is at 1480. I just dosed more. I will check and dose more tomorrow

Well, I realize it's a bit late, but I gave you a solution to your HA issue, and then you spent 150 bucks on snails and crabs. My question would be, why? You are just going to have a snail and crab filled hair algae garden.
Give a chance for the Kent product to work. If you get no results, then you can toss in a thousand critters to live in it.

Ya. I wasn't thinking.. Lol. I may just throw them in a bare 20g tank for a few weeks til I get this figured out. It looks like what was in there is slowly disappearing now.. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Back
Top Bottom