Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hair algae maintinence

I have a 150g reef. 300 lbs of live rock. 3 fish and a few dozen corals. I have 4 1050 power heads and 2 500 gph pumps as returns. I have a skimmer and phosphate reactor with extrax phos . Lights are on 8-9 hours per day. And ro water changes mostly weekly. Sometimes every 2 weeks. Ro is 0 tds. No phosphates or nitrates in ro.. I have a deep sand bed and hair algae on everything!! Rocks and growing in my sand.. I cleaned every rock in hydrogen peroxide. And sucked out the top of sand bed multiple times. And it's all back in a few days.. Anyone else have any ideas on getting rid of this? I think I'm going to pull all corals and store in a seperate tank. Pull all rock and soak in h202 and black out in a tub. Cleaning weekly. And black out the tank... Any other suggestions?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Algae bedding in sand.... Not rocks growing in sand...... Haha

Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

To me this sounds more like a bacteria than a hair algae issue. Can you post a pic of what it looks like? Is it brownish with bubbles?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't have a pic yet. But it's def hair algae. Long green and looks like grass.. Lol I can pull it off the sand in matts. But it grows right back the next day.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wow thats crazy fast, when I had it I'd scrape it off the rock and it would take a couple of weeks. I'd go with removing rocks, sucking the top layer off the sand, remove coral to the other tank and black out your tank for a week after a HUGE water change. Lots of work but it seems like you have a serious issue with it.

Is the algea on your corals skeleton yet? Watch for that I lost a couple that way...
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You could try a couple of sea hares. One cleared out my 75gal a year ago and I haven't seen hair algae since.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's growing around. And from under my corals. I read an article I guy posted. That he took his rocks out. Extensively cleaned them and put them in a tub for a few weeks. One week blackout is not enough because the algae is seeded inside the rock. A few weeks in black will kill it all. Plus he had power heads blasting the rock in the tubs so it blew out everything it could. Kept doing water changes til his po4 was at zero.
I have a deep sand bed. So I figured I would suck out the top layer. If I had the money I would suck every bit of it out and just put a thin layer in there new.. I have a bottom layer of crushed coral middle layer of aragonite and top layer of sand. I wonder ... Could I salvage the sand and re use it.. Or is it a bad idea? Since its been there a year..
Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Checkout algae fix marine. Few people on here and other sites have had good success with it. Google around for info.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Have tested your tank for phosphates? The algae is most likely feeding off it. The test readings will be lower due to the algae consuming the phosphates. I had problems until I added a DI filter on my RO system. A sea hare will clear your tank but will starve when the algae runs out. I have a Refugium where I grow Dragons Breath
and Chaetomorpha algaes to export the phosphates. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Its really hard to get rid of, thats why there are so many threads about it. Seems like you're on the right track though. Another thing is do a huge water change in your tank cause even though you don't have phosphates it could be that the over grown algae is absorbing it really quickly causing it to grow.

Watch your coral too, if it's poking out the base it's probably on the skeleton and you can't do anything but physically remove it. I used a bowl that I filled with tank water then grabbed and removed the algae as much as I could then scrubbed the skelleton with a toothbrush. Worked on most of my hard coral...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com